cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Account Garnished was the first thing I knew!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank Account Garnished was the first thing I knew!!

This relates to a judgement on my CR from june 2002.

The first thing I knew that there was a judgement against me was when my bank account was frozen and I was "forced" to deal with the collection agency, I went into panic mode and agreed to a payment plan after they had emptied my bank account(reading up on this, in WA it seems what they did was legal with the judgement) Now this debt has been paid in full but is still sitting on my CR for another year or so..........my question is... do I have any arguement or recourse since I was never aware that I was being sued untill after the event??
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Minnie
Contributor

Re: Bank Account Garnished was the first thing I knew!!

Quite possibly. If you can hire an attorney to look into this, do so. If not, at least go the to court and ask for proof that you were properly served in compliance with the law of your jurisdiction. Good luck.
Message 2 of 4
TryingVeryHard
Frequent Contributor

What will happen if they served it at an old address? Do you think of any way to get around this? My friend got sued and lost because she was sent papers miles and miles away from her new address.
Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I am also from WA.  The only requirement is that they send it to your last known address. Now, if they knowingly sent it to an old address, that is something different.  In this state, there is no requirement that you be notified before they levy your bank account.  It will stay that way until whoever got the judgement says it is satisfied.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.