Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Acct Overdrawn

tag
armyguy90
Contributor

Bank Acct Overdrawn

My roommate had a bank account with BB&T Bank. I got a card so it would be easier to deposit money to pay rent etc. He overdrew it and I called today and found out I am also responsible for repaying the negative amount (about $124). My question is will it go on my credit if no one pays? or just the chexsystem thing? Please help Im really worried.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bank Acct Overdrawn

@armyguy90 wrote:
My roommate had a bank account with BB&T Bank. I got a card so it would be easier to deposit money to pay rent etc. He overdrew it and I called today and found out I am also responsible for repaying the negative amount (about $124). My question is will it go on my credit if no one pays? or just the chexsystem thing? Please help Im really worried.

Eventually they will charge it off and may send it to a CA.  I know this because it happened to my son. You don't want a CO for $124. I'm not sure about the chexsystem.

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work.

Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It could go on Chex. I'd pay it.
Message 3 of 8
armyguy90
Contributor

Im not worried about Chex, im just worried about it going on my credit reports. I already have my bank and credit union. Dont plan on leaving them.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worried about Chex or not if it goes unpaid the bank will turn it over to a collection agency. It could be tomorrow or next year but you can bet someone will come looking for that money. And for that small amount I would take it as a life lesson learned and pay it and maybe go after your roomate for the money because if its not paid you will see it on your credit report eventually and it will tank your score if you dont already have collections.
Message 5 of 8
laz98
Senior Contributor

couldn't the current bank cancel the OP's account if they see he is in chexsystems?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's important to keep in mind that any bank or credit union can close your account even if you already have an account with them.  Some of the major banks do random account checks via ChexSystems.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the account remains overdrawn for a certain amount of days, they will close it and send it to internal collections and report it to Chexsystems and if they can't collect at all, then it will go to outside agency. My credit union will let your account sit in the negative for 45 days, but as long as your making deposits to bring it down, they won't close it. Case by case basis though.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.