cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Paid Payment with no Overdraft :Protection - What Do I Do Now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank Paid Payment with no Overdraft :Protection - What Do I Do Now?

Our six year old went on Facebook and came to us saying "I bought some coins for Petsville (a Facebook game)!  I just chuckled to myself because I just KNEW she didn't know how to buy anything.  Later on that everning (last Thursday)  I went to check my Paypal account and I got one of the shocks of my life. She DID buy coins for that game and it totaled SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS!   I immediately wrote to Facebook and asked them to cancel this purchase.

I couldnn't believe it.  I still can't figure out how she did this.  So, I had no money in my Paypal account so Paypal went to try to take the money out of my bank account.  I only had about 20.00 in my bank account, and I had NO overdraft protection.  Despite that, the bank PAID the money to Paypal who forwarded it toFacebook.  I had called the bank the day before to make SURE I had no overdraft protection and they confirmed that I didn't.  Why did they pay it?  They told me that since I'm such a good customer they covered the amount.  Now my bank account is 619 overdrawn.  Yes, they also had the nerve to change me thirty five dollars for this.

I told Paypal what happened, but they denied me. They won't do anything to reverse this.  I appealed to Facebook and they told me they won't reverse it.  All the bank is telling me I can do is to file a claim with them saying that I revoked the transaction and hope they rule on my side.

Now, how can the bank pay something when I opted out of overdraft protection and then expect ME to pay 635?   I don't know what to do.   I'm on a fixed income and my income check comes through direct deposit.  If this isn't reversed bnefore the first  of June my income check will be taken (in full) and I won't have any income for June.  I won't be able to pay rent, buy food or do anything.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to rectify this?  Either with the bank, Paypal or Facebook?  I thought about going to a TV station with the story if all else fails.  I can't go thorugh June with no income because Facebook has ti set up that a 6 year old ccan do this.  Yes, I shouldn't have had her where should could go on Facebook, but who knew she would be able to make this purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Belver

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
krielly
Established Contributor

Re: Bank Paid Payment with no Overdraft :Protection - What Do I Do Now?

I thought you had to log into Pay Pal with a user name and password.........How did your six year old know your user name & password?

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

your mistake is using a bank account as the backup souse had you had a credit card You could have disputed it and not over drawn you bank
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, go higher and higher at the bank, until you reach someone with enough common sense to see the situation for what it is, an error that needs to be fixed pronto. You'll probably have better luck in person at a local branch than with "customer service" over the telephone. Why they didn't just process it as a chargeback would be interesting to know.

Second, go to your PayPal account and add security key protection via either your cell phone by text or their key fob so that the six year old cannot access the account. Facebook's security issues are well documented on the net, so if you have your PayPal login information saved to your computer or use the same username and password for both, you're putting yourself at further risk in the future.

Third, report Facebook and PayPal to the BBB.org for offering zero help with unauthorized transactions. Also consider documenting the entire episode on sites such as Planet Feedback. All three companies make more than enough money without enabling a purchase process easy enough for a six year old to figure out.

Good Luck!

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Our six year old went on Facebook and came to us saying "I bought some coins for Petsville (a Facebook game)!  I just chuckled to myself because I just KNEW she didn't know how to buy anything.  Later on that everning (last Thursday)  I went to check my Paypal account and I got one of the shocks of my life. She DID buy coins for that game and it totaled SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS!   I immediately wrote to Facebook and asked them to cancel this purchase.

I couldnn't believe it.  I still can't figure out how she did this.  So, I had no money in my Paypal account so Paypal went to try to take the money out of my bank account.  I only had about 20.00 in my bank account, and I had NO overdraft protection.  Despite that, the bank PAID the money to Paypal who forwarded it toFacebook.  I had called the bank the day before to make SURE I had no overdraft protection and they confirmed that I didn't.  Why did they pay it?  They told me that since I'm such a good customer they covered the amount.  Now my bank account is 619 overdrawn.  Yes, they also had the nerve to change me thirty five dollars for this.

I told Paypal what happened, but they denied me. They won't do anything to reverse this.  I appealed to Facebook and they told me they won't reverse it.  All the bank is telling me I can do is to file a claim with them saying that I revoked the transaction and hope they rule on my side.

Now, how can the bank pay something when I opted out of overdraft protection and then expect ME to pay 635?   I don't know what to do.   I'm on a fixed income and my income check comes through direct deposit.  If this isn't reversed bnefore the first  of June my income check will be taken (in full) and I won't have any income for June.  I won't be able to pay rent, buy food or do anything.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to rectify this?  Either with the bank, Paypal or Facebook?  I thought about going to a TV station with the story if all else fails.  I can't go thorugh June with no income because Facebook has ti set up that a 6 year old ccan do this.  Yes, I shouldn't have had her where should could go on Facebook, but who knew she would be able to make this purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Belver

The OP has asked for help, not critizism.  I am sure hindsight is 20/20 and they have now learned what not to do. 

I have a Facebook account with a Paypal account.  It used to be you had to use a login and password to use the paypal account.  Not anymore.  When you purchase something,  it automatically signs you in to your Paypal account.  I am not happy with it for the exact problem the OP has experienced. 

I would go to the bank and dispute the charge.  You did not authorize it, period. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a nightmare! I agree with the other contributor...Fight this all the way to the top of the bank. Depending on which bank, you should be able to find someone sympathetic to your situation. If not, I know the press would love to see a story as shocking as this one...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.