Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America is reporting three baddies instead of one

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America is reporting three baddies instead of one

iltph wrote:

Yes, you are correct on all accounts. The two accounts were originally with MBNA, but BoA acquired them somehow. They told me that three different CAs own them now, one isn't even showing up on any of my CRs. "Hilco Receivables"

I don't really have any proof about the different DOFDs, except to tell them to look at the CC number (entire #) that is listed on both entries. Would that be sufficient info for them to entirely delete both entires? This one's a whopper @ $5,500 and will at the very latest fall off at the end of the year.

I believe MBNA bought out BoA.

Three different CAs can NOT own the same account. Now there can be 3 different CA's who each own one of the accounts.

Does the DOFD that BoA is reporting match what is being reported by the CA?

I am assuming that these are past SOL?

You need to send a DV to everyone reporting except for the OC.

After done DV'ing the CAs, I'd send an OC letter to the OC. (Unless there is a 30 day window for that, can't remember, maybe someone else with more experience with OC letters will know)

Message Edited by sidewinder on 03-13-2008 06:09 PM
Message 11 of 17
iltph
Frequent Contributor

There are three different CAs, each one only has one account, but BoA is reporting all three and each CA is reporting them as well. So instead of there being 3 accounts on my CR there are 6.

The DOFD on the accounts are Oct 2001, Jun 2002, and Feb 2005 and they are all out of the SOL. The CA that has the account for $5,500 is reporting Dec 2001, where BoA is reporting Oct 2001.

Should I go ahead and dispute with the CRAs and just say they are both reporting inaccurate information, or just try to get the BoA deleted?

I haven't really seen any OC letters before. Do you know of any good samples that are available?

Message Edited by iltph on 03-13-2008 09:30 PM
-------------------------------------------
April 2009: TU 768
March 2009: EQ 671
February 2009: EQ 666
January 2009: TU 667 | EQ 620 | EX 669
December 2008: TU 651 | EQ 625 | EX 649
April 2008: TU 642 | EQ 636 | EX 635
November 2007: EQ 542

November 2006: EQ 501
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

iltph wrote:
There are three different CAs, each one only has one account, but BoA is reporting all three and each CA is reporting them as well. So instead of there being 3 accounts on my CR there are 6.

Legal

The DOFD on the accounts are Oct 2001, Jun 2002, and Feb 2005 and they are all out of the SOL. The CA that has the account for $5,500 is reporting Dec 2001, where BoA is reporting Oct 2001.

Is BoA and the CA only reporting different DOFD on one of the accounts? Are the other DOFD correct or incorrect?

Should I go ahead and dispute with the CRAs and just say they are both reporting inaccurate information, or just try to get the BoA deleted?
Everyone says to send DV letters before disputing, b/c disputing gives them a heads up, hitting them with a DV first catches them unexpecting.

I haven't really seen any OC letters before. Do you know of any good samples that are available?
There are some around, I'll look.

Message Edited by iltph on 03-13-2008 09:30 PM

Message 13 of 17
iltph
Frequent Contributor

Do you mean it's legal for a CA and OC to both report the same debt? Wouldn't that bring down my FICO score twice as much?

With TU, the month/year match on one baddie, another baddie is just reported by BoA (no CA on any CRs), and the third is being reported by BoA that it will fall off on 01/2012 and it is showing 03/2012 with the CA.

I can understand how normally it would be better to send a DV to a CA, but in this case wouldn't it be best to just dispute online with the CRA for the baddie that BoA is reporting and note that it is a duplicate listing (since the cc account #s both match)? OR would it be better to dispute both and say they are reporting inaccurate information on the same debt?

Message Edited by iltph on 03-14-2008 01:10 AM

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, a CA and a OC can both report the same debt. Yes it hurts your FICO to have a collection(the CA) but that is the way it is.

I'm getting confused......maybe I am just too tired.

I understand that on one of the accounts, the CA and BoA is reporting different DOFD. Is either of the DOFD being reported correct?

One account only BoA is reporting, no CA--is BoA reporting the correct DOFD? 

The other account is being reported by both BoA and the CA with the same DOFD--is the DOFD reported correct?
You can dispute as duplicate account but it is a waste of time since both are allowed to report.

Message 15 of 17
iltph
Frequent Contributor

>> Is either of the DOFD being reported correct?

I'm not sure what the exact date is since it dates back to 7 and a half years ago. I no longer have my checking account or cc statements from that long ago.

>> One account only BoA is reporting, no CA--is BoA reporting the correct DOFD?

Same as what I wrote above.

The other account is being reported by both BoA and the CA with the same DOFD--is the DOFD reported correct?

>> You can dispute as duplicate account but it is a waste of time since both are allowed to report.

This guy had both of his accounts deleted for disputing the CA. I was thinking of disputing the OC so I would hopefully be able to PFD or have them not be able to validate the debt.

I just checked my wife's CR and she has four baddies, but only two debts so hers are both being reported twice. Both by the OC and CA and both of hers have different DOFD dates.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

iltph wrote:
>> Is either of the DOFD being reported correct?

I'm not sure what the exact date is since it dates back to 7 and a half years ago. I no longer have my checking account or cc statements from that long ago.

>> One account only BoA is reporting, no CA--is BoA reporting the correct DOFD?

>> You can dispute as duplicate account but it is a waste of time since both are allowed to report.

This guy had both of his accounts deleted for disputing the CA. I was thinking of disputing the OC so I would hopefully be able to PFD or have them not be able to validate the debt.

I just checked my wife's CR and she has four baddies, but only two debts so hers are both being reported twice. Both by the OC and CA and both of hers have different DOFD dates.

Whether you DV or dispute is your choice. People have gotten accounts removed via disputing.......but you never know why they are removed. Just know, unless you are in a state that otherwise allows it, you only have 30 days from the time you are made aware of the debt to send a DV, so make certain you don't loose that option.

As for your wife's account, that is called re-aging and you need to read this-

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.