cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Card won't help me, refferes me to credit counseling service.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay Card won't help me, refferes me to credit counseling service.

I have about 4800 in CC debit.

I lost my job a month ago, I have money to fall back on, but I can't burn through it, jobs are not easy to find where I live.

So I got ahold of inCharge debt soultions.

Well all my creditors are on it, then got a letter from them stating Barclays is not elligble.

So I called Barclays and asked if I could work out a plan, they will not help, at all.

Won't waive late fee, just keeping adding on to the amount due, in went from $40 a month to $99.98

I called and complained, they do not care if you became jobless and can only pay when you want to, they just keep tacking late fees on.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay Card won't help me, refferes me to credit counseling service.

Well for starters, it's not the banks job to help people who get themselves is a pickle. They are in business to make money. Why would they help anyone who is irresponsible, goes out and spends a bunch of money they didn't have and then go and ask for help?

Step and be an adult! And stop blaming the bank because you have no sense on money, credit or how how either one of them work. SMH
Message 2 of 11
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well for starters, it's not the banks job to help people who get themselves in a pickle. They are in business to make money. Why would they help anyone who is irresponsible, goes out and spends a bunch of money they didn't have and then go and ask for help?

Step and be an adult! And stop blaming the bank because you have no sense of money, credit or how how either one of them work. SMH

He/she is being an adult right now.  They have money in reserve.  They could not help that they are out of a job, where is the sympathy here.  In this case they are trying to pay their debts back and has hit a hard place with Barclays.  Everyone situation is not one size fit all, we don't know why they have balances on their credit cards.  Think about if this was you right now seeking advice and help.  I would of been a different story if the op would of stated I have lost my job and refuse to pay back my creditors I owe but the op did not do that and they are seeking out the advice of forms memebers here who can give advice on what to do. 

I wish the op the best of luck.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're able, pay the $99.98 and bring the account current. Assuming future minimum payments are around $40 or less, that should be realistically doable even in your situation. While it's understandable you seek to preserve cash, consider the tradeoff of not paying - risking a charge off, which will have a very adverse effect on your credit reports.

To be clear, if the minimum amount is something somewhat higher, say $100+, then it's understandable not paying due to limited funds. But paying an extra $40 separately to them isn't a whole lot even for one without a job - been there, done that. eBay, CraigsList, hitting up friends, side-jobs, temp work, etc.

I'm not overly familiar with credit counseling, but I presume the cards that participate are closed as part of the process. Keeping Barclay separate could be a plus, since it can remain open. That alone is reason to bring it current, if at all possible.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can see both sides of things, but the banks could at least throw us a bone once and awhile, we have helped them out before. I know they can afford it.
Message 5 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Hang in there; years ago I was there myself and I promise you there is light at the end of the tunnel (and no, it's not always an incoming train Smiley Wink)

When my problems first started I reached out to my lenders as well with 'hit-and-miss' success.  I found it odd that with a couple of lenders they couldn't offer me any assistance at all until I was 'officially' in collections.  Once my account was formally 'in collections', more avenues for assistance were available.  If only those same avenues had been available from the beginning it would have been so much easier!  Unfortunately by the time they were willing to work with me my situation had snowballed and BK7 was my only reasonable option.  Hopefully that isn't the case with you.

Some of the other poster's suggestion that it could be a blessing to -not- include Barclay could be spot on if you are able to get it caught back up.  Just be aware that even if you don't include Barclays, once they do a routine soft-pull and see the status of your other accounts they could take adverse action anyway (although this isn't as common as it once was).  It's a gamble, but if I were able I *would* take the chance.  Just keep the possibilty of AA in mind if you intend to use your card somewhere like a restaurant... be sure to have another way to pay just in case.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

mike, that was the rudest thing anyone's said on here since i have been here. the OP is looking at options to assume their responsibilities. you're quite ridiculous for saying that stuff.
Message 7 of 11
NY2014
Established Contributor

Hello Detecto 1

Welcome to the Forum,

Was just checking over some threads and I could not help but put my 2 cents in , I agree with (2011XTERRER)

Banks are only supposed to use money from a savings or current account if you've not been in touch to discuss how to get back in control. So don't avoid its letters and calls.

It's important, if you're missing payments, to see if you can sort out with your bank  again .how to get back on track. You should be given a reasonable chance to sort this out.

If it's a severe problem, speak to one of the non-profit debt counselling agencies and you may be eligible for 30 days' breathing space. You can find a full list in the Debt help guide.

Contacting your bank really does work, 

others will Chine in with better or more advise, Just keep possitive,keep trying to look for work to help,pay a little of your bills, 

Good Luck Hang in there ...

Fico Score 10/6 EQ 702,16 INQ,TU 740, 9,iNQ EX 705,21 INQ,13%UTIL-
,10 yrs history,1.6 yr AA Cap1 Plat,VentureOne,QS ,Barckey RCI, BBVA,Amex BCE,CSP,NFCU Flag, NFCU Go,NFCU,Cloc NFCU busin,NFCU busin Cloc,Amex Delta busn,Bj's busn Perks,Hawaiian air busin, Citi dc, Discover IT,Chase Hyatt,U.S bank flex perks.,Am,ex Business Plat JCP. Commercial, citi Hilton
Message 8 of 11
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

OP hasnt responded back since initial posting but.... fortunately 4.8k is def manageable. There hav been much worse situations herein. Dont know how much of that debt is Barclays related but addtl info would certainly be helpful. Hopefully wasnt completely turned off by initial response.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah the initial response was screwed up. poor OP probably quit logging in after seeing that.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.