Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Reward Mastercard Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay's Reward Mastercard Question

I have a question more than a review, and would like some advice. I was late on my payment in March, because I was actually considering filing for bankruptcy, and then changed my mind, and went ahead and made the payment like 7 days late. I called in and explained my situation to them, and they waived the late fee. It was the frist time I had ever been late. Then In March I had to work over, and ended up 10 minutes late making my payment. I called in to explain, and they said if I were to get a late fee, to call in and they would waive it. I did get a late fee, and they said because they had already waived the late fee in March, there was nothing they could do which I understood 100%

So they deducted the $37.00 late fee on April 14.

I just checked my account, and they have taken the $37.00 fee they had waived in March, and now they have added the $37.00 charge to my May payment.

Is that legal for them to do something like that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this matter.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay's Reward Mastercard Question

Yes this is legal.  You was late twice, the first one they waived and you was late again so they applied the second late payment fee to your minumum payment.  That is not something that you can pay over time.  I would set up auto pay for atleast the minimum each month to make sure it is getting paid.  If you want to pay more you can but atleast you know the minimum payment is being made.  

Have you down loaded the app to your phone?  You can make your payments this way as well.  When I am out of town or something this is how I make my payments.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you are saying. My problem is they have already taken the late fee for April, and now they are reverting back to March, when they waived the late fee, and they are applying that $37 fee to my payment for May.

Message 3 of 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

I would give them a call and specifically state that the fee was waived for that month in particular and you want to know why that charge is there?  I am sure it is something that can be fixed.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have e-mailed them and called them, and I get a different answer every time. The only part that I do get is that they have taken back the $37 they waived for me in March. And they applied that particular charge to my May's payment. Its my mistake, but it seems almost illegal to me for them to do that. They have already deducted the April fee from the account.

Message 5 of 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

I don't know.  Barclay is a different type of lender.  I find it unusual as well that they would do this, grant a removal of the fee and then charge it back to you.  

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

it sounds like they did not waive it - they pushed it. which basically means put it on your next statement.... kind of a lesser courtesy then waiving it. like others have said.... set up auto pay to pay the minimum.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.