Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be Weary with AMEX Welcome Offers

tag
Reincarnated
New Contributor

Hey all.

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone looking to earn any sign up bonuses with AMEX if you're an existing user already (with any card of theirs).

I own a Costco TrueEarnings and BCE. 

Before applying for the BCE, I noticed that the offer wasn't showing up for me, but I knew it was there for other people. I chatted with 2 representatives, both telling me that my account is eligible for the sign up offer. Still unsure, I called customer service by phone TWICE, and both representatives told me that I would get the offer as long as I haven't had the card within the past 12 months.

Guess what? After my BCE was opened, I asked them to check my sign up offer and they said my account didn't have one.

How can AMEX (4 CSRs) really confirm that I would receive the bonus offer and not go through with it?

They did file an investigation for me, and told me to ask again in a few weeks... but why does it need an investigation is what I'm thinknig. I don't care about it at this point.

I just want everyone to be careful with it. Don't rely on chat/phone to confirm anything for you. Make sure that any offers are on the page when you sign up to ensure it.

Chase Freedom $1,000 // Discover It $3,100 // SallieMae World $4,400 // Capital One Quicksilver $5,000 // Citibank Double Cash $5,000 // AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $6,000 // AMEX Blue Cash Everyday $21,000
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: Be Weary with AMEX Welcome Offers

It is fairly well known around this board how AMEX treats it: Clear your cookies, use a private browser, and most importantly DO NOT LOG IN

Using the above method increases your chances of getting a bonus on a card you've never had exponentially, with that said it is IMO 100% American express' fault for not being transparant and requiring such measures just to be treated like everyone else. Sorry that it happened to you and keep us updated on what their response is. 

Message 2 of 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Be Weary with AMEX Welcome Offers

@Reincarnated wrote:

While some may be tired of AmEx offers it seems odds to recommend people be tired of them... Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.