cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being added as authorized user on credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being added as authorized user on credit card?

So I am trying to boost my credit score. My wife has insanely good credit, around 810. She has many goodstanding cards with old history (some from the 90's!) and high credit limits that she doesn't use very often, maybe small recurring charges here and there (Netflix, ADT, etc.) She also never missed a single payment or held any debt on them. My overall credit limit is low and one of the things keeping my score down is that I use too much of my credit each month and even though I pay the entire balance off each month, it still hurts my score. My credit card providers have denied my requests to raise my limits because I recently had too many hard hits to my credit by signing up for multiple cards (Target, Sears, etc.) and I have some medical bill collections.

If she adds me as an authorized user to a few of her high limit cards, will that boost my score much? Considering that it should raise my overall credit limits?

The other important question would be, does this cause any harm to her credit? Does it add hard hits to her report for each instance that I'm added? Of course I understand that if I ever used the cards and didn't pay them on time or did some other kind of bad credit behavior with them that it would reflect on her report as well, but I will never use them - simply just looking to be added to help my own credit report.

Any advice? Good or bad idea? Is it a myth? Does it really work and boost someone's score much? 21 questions, sorry.. LOL!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Being added as authorized user on credit card?

I added my mom as an authorized user to my secured card ($200 limit, opened since Jan of this year) three months ago and she has surpassed me score-wise. She has multiple medical collections, I let a small balance report every month and her scores have been on the rise ever since. She has now qualified for two unsecured cards on her own which I am added to in order to help with my utilization until I am able to pay it down. 

*There are no hard hits to her credit for adding you as an AU.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Being added as authorized user on credit card?

Being added to two of your wife's very old cards sounds like a super idea.  No, it will not hurt her.

So boom -- question answered, that's a yes, go do it.

That said, it sounds like you don't see a good way to spend a lot on your cards and still have a utilization of 1-3%.  That's possible even when you have a very small credit limit.  If I were you I'd want to learn how to do that too, so you aren't dependent on having big credit limits for a low utilization (especially big CLs that belong to someone else).

Let us know if you want that explained.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.