Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Approach to CHILD SUPPORT ISSUE

tag
TryingVeryHard
Frequent Contributor

Best Approach to CHILD SUPPORT ISSUE

We have pulled my friend's credit report last night. We learned that there is this account reported:

CT DEPT OF SOCIAL SVS
Balance: $7,666
Date Updated: 12/2007
High Balance: $0
Past Due: >$7,451
Terms: Minimum $265
Pay Status: >120 Days Past Due
Account Type: Open Account
Responsibility: Individual Account
Date Opened: 07/1999
Loan Type: Child Support

>Maximum delinquency of 120+ days in 11/2006 for $6,026
Estimated date that this item will be removed: 05/2008

My friend told me that he has stopped paying child support. He is so closed to his son now who is 20. Do child support continues even the son is over 18? And, how accurate is TransUnion by estimating that the item will be removed in 4 months.

He asked me if he still need to pay this, I dont know what to answer him and have advice him to contact the Department of Social Services.

Any advice you think I can share to him? He is Spanish speaking guy and have trouble contacting the authority and really have no clue whats going on with his credit report.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Best Approach to CHILD SUPPORT ISSUE

I thought child support stopped at 18.  The reason he may still be paying is he owes back support.

Best to ask a laywer and check the laws in your state.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 6
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I'm sure states vary, but I checked with my brother who is now *in the system*.  If your friend owes back support, it is always owed. 

If his son is in college, he may very well owe child support  until age 21 or 22 as long as the son is a student.  

In my friends case, he was in arrears by about 5K.  He ended up settling with the mom for half in cash and she filed for it to be marked as paid in full.  The document had to be notarized.

Message Edited by fishbjc on 01-17-2008 06:08 AM
Message 3 of 6
sunrise
Frequent Contributor

I agree w/ marty..call an atty.  From my understanding though, child support a tough one.  States like to see it paid regardless of the age of the child.  My niece is 19 and her father owes around $22,000 back-child support pay...and the states ( CO & IL ) are still attempting to collect payment! 

I believe if the mother received state help financially (some form of aid like food stamps or housing, etc) the state will continue to collect back-child support from the parent owing it!!!  States feel that if fathers (or mothers) who don't pay their child support, force the other parent to need state aid..they will go after the child-support owing parent!  That is the current situation w/ my sis & niece!

Contact your local child support office and ask for legal assistance to your questions.

BTW...most, if not all, state offices ( in all states) offer spanish-speaking reps and atty's.( or at least translators)

Best of Luck!
takin' it one day at a time
Message 4 of 6
sunrise
Frequent Contributor

ooops forgot, child support usually stops at 18...unless the child is a full time student up to around the age of 21 or 22 like fishbjc stated above.

Once the child hits one of these milestones above....monthly child support is stopped.....but Not the amt. in arrears!

For instance, lets say your friend pays $XX. a mo. but, is currently $5K in arrears.....his $XX monthly payment amt will stop after the milestone has been hit, BUT he still owes the $5K in arrears, regardless!? Not for sure on which states charge penalties or fees, after child support stops, if they do at all?!

This is how my sis has explained it to me.  Hope this helps? 
takin' it one day at a time
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You probably need to contact the child support office and see if this is continuting child support, because they do make errors.  I have a friend that was getting 2500 a month in child support, and she said that even after 3 out of 4 of her kids became adults they were still getting the 2500 a month.  She said she would hold on to it just in case they had made an error or if he asked for the money back.  I really don't think they care. But if you owe it you should pay it regardless of your child being 20.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.