Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Option for My Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Option for My Credit

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out what my ideal course of action is for improving my credit and eventually becoming debt free. I'll break down some of my income and debt information and see what you think my priorities should be. I'll be blunt with you; I was not financially responsible while in college and accrued a lot of debt.

I'll start with credit cards...

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $0 / $12,000

Discover It - $2,050 / $10,700

Capital One Quicksilver - $2,000 / $7,500

Best Buy Store Card - $3950 / $6,000 (interest free for another 18 months)

Chase Amazon Rewards - $1,162 / $2,000

Amazon Store Card - $640 / $3,300

Next, loans...

Mortgage - $172,000 / $174,000

Discover Student Loans - $40,400 / $48,000

Federal Student Loans - $31,000 / $33,000

Auto Loan - $5,600 / $9,000

And, finally, income...

My income - $75,000

Wife's income ~ $5,000

Rent from room mate - $7,200

I also put away approximately $260 a month to my 401k which my company matches 100%.

What do I pay off first? After paying all of my monthly payments (utilities, internet/tv, cell phones, groceries, dining out, mortgage, student loans, cc's, etc.) I have approximately $1,000 left over to pay down debt each month.

Thanks for any input. It's greatly appreciated.

Brandon

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Best Option for My Credit

Welcome to the forum

Need INT% rate for everything with a balance to better help you.

Don't need mortgage rate which can't be played with.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It is %17.99

Capital One Quicksilver is %22.99

Best Buy Store Card is 0% until October, 2016, but I will have it paid off by then as to not incur all that interest

Chase Amazon Rewards is %21.24

Amazon Store Card is %18.99

Discover Student Loans are %6.5

Federal Student Loans are %5.25

Auto Loan is %10.5

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 11
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out what my ideal course of action is for improving my credit and eventually becoming debt free. I'll break down some of my income and debt information and see what you think my priorities should be. I'll be blunt with you; I was not financially responsible while in college and accrued a lot of debt.

I'll start with credit cards...

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $0 / $12,000

Discover It - $2,050 / $10,700 Pay Fourth

Capital One Quicksilver - $2,000 / $7,500 Pay Third

Best Buy Store Card - $3950 / $6,000 (interest free for another 18 months) Pay Last

Chase Amazon Rewards - $1,162 / $2,000 Pay Second

Amazon Store Card - $640 / $3,300 Pay First

Next, loans...

Don't worry about these yet. You should pay the mortgage and auto loans off with regular monthly payments. No need to ever pay those two off early. You can kick some extra money at the student loans after your credit cards are paid off.

Mortgage - $172,000 / $174,000

Discover Student Loans - $40,400 / $48,000

Federal Student Loans - $31,000 / $33,000

Auto Loan - $5,600 / $9,000

And, finally, income...

My income - $75,000

Wife's income ~ $5,000

Rent from room mate - $7,200

I also put away approximately $260 a month to my 401k which my company matches 100%.

What do I pay off first? After paying all of my monthly payments (utilities, internet/tv, cell phones, groceries, dining out, mortgage, student loans, cc's, etc.) I have approximately $1,000 left over to pay down debt each month.

Thanks for any input. It's greatly appreciated.

Brandon

Well...How big is your emergency fund?

You really do need an emergency fund because if one thing is certain in life, bad things sometimes happen to good people. Your emergency fund should be at least 2 to 3 months of your salary and should be tapped only in case of real emergencies. That sale on that cool power tool at Home Depot is not an emergency! This money should be kept in a savings account so it will be easily available when an emergency does arise. Once you have 2 to 3 months salary in your emergency fund you can start investing in other products that have a higher rate of return but might not be as easily accessed in case you need some money fast.

You don't have to wait to start paying down your credit cards but how about splitting your money between the emergency fund and paying off credit cards? How about $500 to each?

I edited your post showing the "snowball" method of getting out of debt. You make the minimum monthly payment on all your cards except the one with the lowest balance. You put any extra money towards the card with the lowest balance until it is paid off. Then start on the card with the next lowest balance. Rinse and repeat as needed.

You should just make sure that your mortgage payments are made in a timely fashion. No need to pay the mortgage off early.

Same goes for the auto loan. It doesn't need to be paid off early unless you have a high interest rate.

Attack the student loans with the same snowball method used for the credit cards. DON'T PAY LATE! Pay off the student loan that has the highest interest rate first.

It is very important that you understand that you need savings and investments along with paying down your debt. If something should happen and you couldn't work for a few months you need to be prepared. YOU WILL BE GLAD THAT YOU PREPARED!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 4 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Simple answer is just to pay off the highest interest rate first and just work down from there especially if you're intending to pay off all your debt eventually.  Credit score wise, always generally prioritize paying revolving over installment (which is usually lower rate anyway).

If that's what fiscally irresponsible looks like in your world, you'll be OK Smiley Happy.  House, car, presumably a degree to go with those loans, and a decent income that equates to 1k / month free cash flow.  If you don't have any derogatories / deliquencies you have a pretty easy path to a high credit score.

Seriously, you'll be fine.

        
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, focus on revolving accounts, then student loans. I only have $5,000 saved up in my emergency fund, so should I just build that and leave the revolving debt for now? Until I reach 3 months pay? Or should I start doing 50/50 now until I have 3 months pay saved up?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Simple answer is just to pay off the highest interest rate first and just work down from there especially if you're intending to pay off all your debt eventually.  Credit score wise, always generally prioritize paying revolving over installment (which is usually lower rate anyway).

If that's what fiscally irresponsible looks like in your world, you'll be OK Smiley Happy.  House, car, presumably a degree to go with those loans, and a decent income that equates to 1k / month free cash flow.  If you don't have any derogatories / deliquencies you have a pretty easy path to a high credit score.

Seriously, you'll be fine.

No late payments and there hopefully never will be. FICO dropped to 693 after I got the mortgage and I have 6 inquiries in the last 2 years (car, house, new credit lines, etc). Thanks for the reality check. It just all seems overwhelming atm.

Message 7 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Another option is a loan on the 401k 

However with your income and a little time I think you'll be fine w/o

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, focus on revolving accounts, then student loans. I only have $5,000 saved up in my emergency fund, so should I just build that and leave the revolving debt for now? Until I reach 3 months pay? Or should I start doing 50/50 now until I have 3 months pay saved up?

5k in emergency fund is ok for you right now. So focus on debt first. I personally would tackle the one with highest interest rate first. But you may like to start with the lowest amount owed and pay it off, showing progress.  This helps people stay motivated seeing debt being wiped off.  

Tackle all that debt, make sure you look for ways to live below your means, and save along the way! Best of luck ! 

Message 9 of 11
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Awesome! You do have an emergency fund!

Perhaps you can use $700 for credit card debt and put $300 into building a larger emergency fund. You need to get in the habit of living below your means and not that it is something that you can put off for later. Always save and invest first!

If you pay all your bills on time and work yourself out of revolving debt your scores will be stellar. Installment loan debt is not a bad thing to have on your credit report and actually boosts your scores a bit. That would be your mortgage, student loans and auto loans.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.