Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best (cheapest) way to monitor my credit scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best (cheapest) way to monitor my credit scores

Is there a preferred method/website?  Just wondering, I see a lot of options when I do a google search but I don't know who is reputable, how often I should check my scores, etc etc so any tips would be very much appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best (cheapest) way to monitor my credit scores

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a preferred method/website?  Just wondering, I see a lot of options when I do a google search but I don't know who is reputable, how often I should check my scores, etc etc so any tips would be very much appreciated.

Before buying anything, know that there are two types of scores out there: FICO scores and non-FICO scores (we call them FAKOs here). There's only a finite number of places you can get your FICO score. Other than myFICO.com, you can also get your EQ FICO from Equifax.com or from your lender. Other than myFICO.com, you can also get your TU FICO from transunioncs.com (note the -cs) and from your lender. Finally, as of last year, Experian no longer allows consumers to pull their own EX FICO score, but you can get it from your lender or on your checking statement if you happen to have a checking account with a CU in PA called PSECU. Any other score from any other source are not FICO scores, but a knock-off we call FAKOs. If a website is promoting credit scores, then odds are they are not FICO scores.

For info on what scores are offered where, check out the following:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Monitoring-Service-CMS-Guide/td-p/662549

The only service out there that actually monitors your FICO score is offered via this website and is called ScoreWatch. Click the link at the very bottom for more information. That service monitors your EQ FICO score only and if your settings are set correctly, you'll get alerted every time your score changes. Equifax also offers this service. There are no monitoring services anywhere that monitor your EX or TU FICO scores.

Now, what I do recommend is a CMS (see link above) to monitor changes to your CRs. Ignore the scores as they aren't FICO scores, but if you see a change, you can always come back to myFICO and pull the corresponding FICO report to see those FICO score changes.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best (cheapest) way to monitor my credit scores

Ok thanks a lot I'll check out that link.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.