Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best organized banks / credit unions ?

tag
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

Best organized banks / credit unions ?

Hi all,

I am in an uncommon situation: I'm one of 3-6 million US citizens who would like to receive their mail (including cards) overseas. So I called a few credit unions and banks if it was possible.

First the cu's: PenFed, Andrews FCU and SDFCU assured me many of their clients were living overseas, so I joined them but they are very unorganized. They all make errors in handling an overseas account address, don't always respond to email etc

Then: I called a few banks and I learned that there, every department has different information. With BoA at one point I was in a conference call with someone from the Fraud, Member, and Application department who all had completely different information..

Anyway, I learned that most banks & credit unions are not organized greatly: same information at every department or csr is rare.

Can anybody recommend card issuers that do have their act together? It just takes so much time to get things done with unorganized institutions..

Have a good one

-Jesse

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
policebox
Contributor

Re: Best organized banks / credit unions ?

I don't have any direct experience with dealing with the particular issue you have (receiving mail overseas), but "logically" I would think a bank such as USAA and a credit union like Navy Federal C/U would frequently deal with members who are overseas (military). So, I would think they would have the kind of experience that would be required to give smooth service which can overcome those obstacles. I have banking products from USAA and have always received competent and accurate service from them.

Message 2 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I'd also recommend NFCU ( if you qualify ) or another service~related CU, as mentioned above for the same reasons.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 6
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

I agree with you, I would love an NFCU or USAA card but unfortunately, I'm not eligible.

But my question is actually meant to be a more general one. I am not specifically looking for a bank with a lot of overseas customers, I am looking for a bank with csr's who know what they are talking about. Tired of getting a different answer from everyone you talk to, or having them put errors in your account info when asking them a question.

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 4 of 6
Airforcekid
Established Member

Maybe an online bank like Ally since branches are irrelevant and they are very used to doing everything through mail/online. Also anyone can join USAA for banking just not insurance.

NFCU Cashrewards $3,500| Navcheck $7,500| Discover IT $500| AMEX $6000| CS:724
Message 5 of 6
user5387
Valued Contributor

Three CUs that strike me as well-managed and organized are Alliant CU, Hanscom FCU, and PSECU.

The first two of these are open to anyone, and the last to folks in Pennsylvania.

Alliant CU is now offering EMV cards.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.