Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Bank Than BofA?

tag
aamex
Frequent Contributor

Better Bank Than BofA?

Mod cut.

I hate banking with BofA, but I love their online banking and that they're everywhere. Mod cut. Can someone recommend a better bank? (online banking and brick and mortar)?

(This post and its initial replies were split off from another thread to create this one; title changed and minor editing above noted in red so post would make sense as a stand-alone, rather than as the reply on another thread it originally was.  No other changes.  -Scamp, Mod)

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank of America closed my card account :(

I hate banking with them, but I love their online banking and that they're everywhere. Off topic a little, but can someone recommend a better bank? (online banking and brick and mortar)?

For personal accounts, nearly every bank is better Smiley LOL(online features aside).  A smaller local bank with multiple branches is often a good place to start if you don't want to go with a CU.   It really depends what you're looking for.

At this point and after all that's been in the news about them, I'd tell anyone to avoid BoA now.  They closed our 1-2-3 Siggy recently, with a balance. I was all worried about it but SW showed it close and it seems to have only dropped scores about 7 points.

And I have to say, that 1-2-3 Siggy was a headache within weeks of getting it.  They really lived up to their recent reputation.  And I used to think highly of BoA years ago.  They've become a bank for corporate customers only really (you have to have huge sums to be treated right there anymore really).

I'm honestly to the point I'd rather keep Cap 1 cards than my old BoA card with a fee. Guess who's actually been BETTER to deal with. I was going to keep my BoA that had a fee. Now I'm 90% sure I'll be closing it this spring.  BoA has simply gotten too big, too crooked and too unethical to deal with really anymore. When our BoA bonds are done in a couple years, we're done with them completely. Between them and Wells Fargo, we've been driven to CU's due to big bank tactics and ethics.

We still deal with 3 smaller local area banks which are ok for walk in service. Other than those, it's NFCU and Penfed for CC's. Discover is proving better than expected so far as well. We're done with BoA and Wells however (Wells is due to unethical financial advisors).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 2 of 17
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I can't seem to close my BOA account, for whatever reason.  Is it because they have ATMs (That I ONLY use to make deposits) on every corner? Is it because my acct is linked to my gf and fathers in the event I need to make a transfer or accept a transfer from either one of them? Is it because their online banking is far superior to my CU?

I've never paid a fee to them, so do I want to drop them because everyone else wants to?

I don't know..

I have a BOA, USAA, local CU, Ally, and Amex (savings) accounts.  Surely they can do everything I need as well or better than BOA?

I've been with them for years and they issued me my first CC w/ 5k limit at 18 w/ dad co-signed (the start of my own CC woes...) and have since declined me twice over the years - understandably.

I'll likely not go to them for a home loan, as I'll only do VA and any reputable Mortagage Lender can do that job just fine.  If ever I were to need an auto-loan, I would proabable talk to my CU.

Why can't I break-up with BOA?!?! Smiley Frustrated

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I rarely use my BofA checking account. I bank with Cap1, PSECU and ING Direct. I like Cap1 for my banking needs cause of the brick and mortar locationd but I love PSECU!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 17
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

I am kind of the same way with them. I have a checking, savings, and mortgage with them (no credit cards), and i do think they have the best online website of any of the financial firms i have credit cards and such with.

I have direct deposit of my income, and have not had to go into a bank office for years. In fact, i dont even call them when i have issues, i email them so i havea reckrd of who said what when.

If i were to buy a new house, i would think really really hard before givin them more business, but for now, switching banks would be a massive pain in te rear end.
Message 5 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Chris123nTx wrote:
I am kind of the same way with them. I have a checking, savings, and mortgage with them (no credit cards), and i do think they have the best online website of any of the financial firms i have credit cards and such with.

I have direct deposit of my income, and have not had to go into a bank office for years. In fact, i dont even call them when i have issues, i email them so i havea reckrd of who said what when.

If i were to buy a new house, i would think really really hard before givin them more business, but for now, switching banks would be a massive pain in te rear end.

Yea I wish I had the convienence of all of their ATM's being free to me, it sucks paying those fees!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 17
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

I can't seem to close my BOA account, for whatever reason.  Is it because they have ATMs (That I ONLY use to make deposits) on every corner? Is it because my acct is linked to my gf and fathers in the event I need to make a transfer or accept a transfer from either one of them? Is it because their online banking is far superior to my CU?

I've never paid a fee to them, so do I want to drop them because everyone else wants to?

I don't know..

I have a BOA, USAA, local CU, Ally, and Amex (savings) accounts.  Surely they can do everything I need as well or better than BOA?

I've been with them for years and they issued me my first CC w/ 5k limit at 18 w/ dad co-signed (the start of my own CC woes...) and have since declined me twice over the years - understandably.

I'll likely not go to them for a home loan, as I'll only do VA and any reputable Mortagage Lender can do that job just fine.  If ever I were to need an auto-loan, I would proabable talk to my CU.

Why can't I break-up with BOA?!?! Smiley Frustrated

amen..I can't seem to do the break up...but they have charged me fees and i've gotten them waived..but i still hate their tatics...the atms are everywhere too Smiley Sad

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 7 of 17
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Re: Better Bank Than BofA?

I am partial to US Bank.  I have dealt with them for many years, and they have been very good to me.  I have checking, savings, mortgage, LOC, and cc's.  I also think they have the best online account setup.  I  only log on to one place and it shows all of my accounts.  I am also able to pull up each individual account if needed from the same place.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 8 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I am partial to US Bank.  I have dealt with them for many years, and they have been very good to me.  I have checking, savings, mortgage, LOC, and cc's.  I also think they have the best online account setup.  I  only log on to one place and it shows all of my accounts.  I am also able to pull up each individual account if needed from the same place.

Yeah, but BOFA has done that particular trick for the past 7 years in their online site.

BOFA was great when I used cash for everything, now I'm having second thoughts after recent issues but I haven't decided to divest myself of them yet: maybe once I get a mortgage I'll consider switching to somewhere like USAA for most things depending how easy it is for me to deposit the myriad of checks I collect from my soccer refereeing, but I suppose worst case I can always find another bank with local branch offices (Chase, HSBC/Cap One, US Bank, Wells, probably others) for that.  

That said, I have almost all my recurring bills going through my credit cards now, so switching out of their Online Bill Pay (which I've never had any issue at all with: it's been fantastic) wouldn't be the hassle I originally thought several months ago when BOFA was nothing but trouble for me.

        
Message 9 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If you pick any other bank besides BofA, your forecast is 100% favorable that your new bank will be better than BofA.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.