Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of CA letters

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beware of CA letters

I received a letter from ALW Sourcing stating I owed Sears $5294.00 from 1993.  Of course I was not phased by this due to the SOL.  I DV'd this letter to keep them from tampering with my credit reports or I can have any negative items they place, removed.  I am really writing to pass on to you that the letter was dated October 27, 2007, but I did not receive the letter until November 10, 2007(2 weeks later).  As you know they want a response in 30 days, and if you are under the assumption they mean from the day you receive it, you are leaving yourself open for them to make up their on date.  I kept the envelope which this company must have a postage account with the postal service.  The envelope does not show a postmark, but at the bottom the postal service has barcoded the envelope with the mailing date.  So, if you receive a letter from a CA, be sure to check the letter date, and keep the envelope for date of mailing.  Only DV by CMRRR.  Also this CA seems to attack people with high FICO scores.  These CA's seem to work in groups.  Also I believe that the CRA are accepting hard inquiries from them.
Check out www.ripoffreports.com and list a company you want to check on for negative complaints.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
BetterTomorrow
New Contributor

Re: Beware of CA letters

I just wanna bump this thread. I got a hard inquiry from ALW Sourcing on 1/11/08 and received a letter from them shortly after that I owe them money. I already know they are trying to collect a non-existing debt or an old debt that's over 10 years old. My question is... how do companies like this stay in business, when they are obviously not following the law?
4/22/08
TU 673 EQ 631 EX 689

7/1/12
TU 705 EQ 717 EX 718
Message 2 of 5
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

My son works for a collection agency who is strictly by the books.  According to him, these junk debt collectors work on the assumption that someone is going to get scared and send them a check.  For every person who knows the rules, one hundred do not.

So, if they buy this $5000 debt for $500 (example) and end up settling for $1000, they're happy campers. 

Many of these collectors close their doors only to reopen under a new name.  Bunch of slime balls.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sue them

BetterTomorrow wrote:
I just wanna bump this thread. I got a hard inquiry from ALW Sourcing on 1/11/08 and received a letter from them shortly after that I owe them money. I already know they are trying to collect a non-existing debt or an old debt that's over 10 years old. My question is... how do companies like this stay in business, when they are obviously not following the law?

Message 4 of 5
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I received a letter from ALW Sourcing stating I owed Sears $5294.00 from 1993.  Of course I was not phased by this due to the SOL.  I DV'd this letter to keep them from tampering with my credit reports or I can have any negative items they place, removed.  I am really writing to pass on to you that the letter was dated October 27, 2007, but I did not receive the letter until November 10, 2007(2 weeks later).  As you know they want a response in 30 days, and if you are under the assumption they mean from the day you receive it, you are leaving yourself open for them to make up their on date.  I kept the envelope which this company must have a postage account with the postal service.  The envelope does not show a postmark, but at the bottom the postal service has barcoded the envelope with the mailing date.  So, if you receive a letter from a CA, be sure to check the letter date, and keep the envelope for date of mailing.  Only DV by CMRRR.  Also this CA seems to attack people with high FICO scores.  These CA's seem to work in groups.  Also I believe that the CRA are accepting hard inquiries from them.
Check out www.ripoffreports.com and list a company you want to check on for negative complaints.

If they want a leg to stand on, IMO, I think that they ought to send CMRRR. How can they possibly know when, or if, you ever received it. They would probably lose 10 times out of 10 in a court of law, if they tried to sue, b/c you didn't respond in their 30 day timeframe. Like Fish said, they just want to punk a few of the uninformed into giving some $.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.