Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big problems with Equifax credit file!

tag
Trivolve
Contributor

Big problems with Equifax credit file!

I'm having big problems with Equifax, specifically I have a fradulent derog on my file, but I can't access Equifax credit reports because their system is never able to verify my identity.

I have been able to get TransUnion and Experian credit reports from the official website and they don't display the derog. I got a snapshot of my Equifax CR recently from Quizzle, and I was shocked to see a medical collection derog of $77 unpaid, furthermore the Account Name/Number is "Unknown xxxx-7480", no address/phone# for this collection agency and the I even have one of my living address listed as Sioux Falls, SD (prob by this stupid collection agency). So obviously I wanted to open a dispute with Equifax. But I can't request my CR from annualcreditreport.com or from equifax.com/fcra (had a recent denial so i was entitled to my equifax CR), because they always come up with an error of not being able to verify my identity. I tried calling to get the free annual report and went through the entire automated system and it said "your free CR will be report will be mailed to you within a few weeks" and after months nothing has arrived. 

So I'm guessing that my Equifax file has some major problems with it. It's weird that I can access my Equifax from Quizzle but not from any other official sources. I can't get a Equifax credit report number, so I can't file a dispute with Equifax (since disputes require a credit report #).

1. How should I proceed?
  2. Is there a minimum time my credit file needs to mature before I can access my credit report? I know all my CCs are reporting to them, but i just can't seem to pull my file properly from Equifax. Just wondering because Credit.com and CreditSesame also can't pull my Experian report and they told me my file needs to be at least 1 year old (no such problems with TransUnion and CK). I got my SSN about 7 months ago.

I'm not too worried at the moment because most credit cards don't pull Equifax for credit card apps/CLIs, but in the long run I worry this fradulent derog will screw me over.

[Total CL: $97K] Citi Forward, BoA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Hyatt, AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX Hilton Hhonors, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thankyou Preferred, Barclaycard Arrival Plus, AMEX Platinum, Chase IHG
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

Re: Big problems with Equifax credit file!

@Trivolve wrote:

I'm having big problems with Equifax, specifically I have a fradulent derog on my file, but I can't access Equifax credit reports because their system is never able to verify my identity.

I have been able to get TransUnion and Experian credit reports from the official website and they don't display the derog. I got a snapshot of my Equifax CR recently from Quizzle, and I was shocked to see a medical collection derog of $77 unpaid, furthermore the Account Name/Number is "Unknown xxxx-7480", no address/phone# for this collection agency and the I even have one of my living address listed as Sioux Falls, SD (prob by this stupid collection agency). So obviously I wanted to open a dispute with Equifax. But I can't request my CR from annualcreditreport.com or from equifax.com/fcra (had a recent denial so i was entitled to my equifax CR), because they always come up with an error of not being able to verify my identity. I tried calling to get the free annual report and went through the entire automated system and it said "your free CR will be report will be mailed to you within a few weeks" and after months nothing has arrived. 

So I'm guessing that my Equifax file has some major problems with it. It's weird that I can access my Equifax from Quizzle but not from any other official sources. I can't get a Equifax credit report number, so I can't file a dispute with Equifax (since disputes require a credit report #).

1. How should I proceed?
  2. Is there a minimum time my credit file needs to mature before I can access my credit report? I know all my CCs are reporting to them, but i just can't seem to pull my file properly from Equifax. Just wondering because Credit.com and CreditSesame also can't pull my Experian report and they told me my file needs to be at least 1 year old (no such problems with TransUnion and CK). I got my SSN about 7 months ago.

I'm not too worried at the moment because most credit cards don't pull Equifax for credit card apps/CLIs, but in the long run I worry this fradulent derog will screw me over.

Your best bet is to contact the dept at equifax that deals with disputes directly. explain to them your situation and ask them to transfer you to the Office of Consumer Affairs.

since you say that you are not able to pull up your report through Equifax's own site, they would probably require you to fax them a photocopy of identifying information I.e. Drivers license, ss card, etc. If fraud is the issue and since you can't access your report via Equifax.com, you won't be able to submit a formal online dispute, since you need a report/confirmation number to do so, Consumer Affair will have to conduct it on your behalf. 

I will PM you the direct number to Dispute Department. I hope this helps and you can resolve your issue(s) with them. GL

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would suggest that you first address the showing of information in your CR that you feel is not based on any account authorized by you, and thus based on possible identity theft.  If you are willing to put that statement into a sworn police report, you can get it blocked from your CR, which would be a first step towards addressing its affect on both your scoring and access.

You can dispute the collection with the CRA, but in most cases, a dispute will not resolve the issue of account/debt not mine.

The CRA must forward the disute to the debt collector, who must conduct a reasonable investigation, and if they have basis for determining the account/debt was authorized by you, can verify its accuracy.  They cannot determine whether documentation they have was fraudulent.  They have no requirement in verification of accuracy to prvide supporting documentation, or "prove" its legitimacy.  So a dispute will often get you nowhere.

To address the lack of ability of the dispute process to resolve assertions of account/debt not mine, the FCRA has an identity theft process that does not consider or require any documentation by either the consumer or furnisher of the information.  It relies only on the presentation of a sworn statement by the consumer before a law enforcement agency that the consumer did not authorize the account/debt.  If you then send that police report to the CRA, along with a declaration that you never athorized any account that created the debt, and proof of your identity, the CRA must immediately block that information from your credit report.

I would recomment that as your very first step.

Message 3 of 4
JLK93
Established Contributor

@Trivolve wrote:

1. How should I proceed?

There is a quick fix that sometimes works when there is difficulty accessing an Equifax credit report, but there are no guarantees. Go to Transunion or Experian and purchase all 3 credit reports. Be sure and print out your Equifax report so you can answer any security questions with the assistance or your report. Then go to Equifax and obtain an official report. If your primary concern is obtaining your Equifax report, at this point it might be more expedient to go ahead an purchase a new report  rather than attempting to get a free one.

As far as obtaining a free Equifax based on denial of credit, I have never had much luck accomplishing this task online. I usually get the free report on the phone with no problems.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.