cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill Autopay (automatic bill payment) declined - how does this affect credit score?

tag
creditmeister
Valued Member

Bill Autopay (automatic bill payment) declined - how does this affect credit score?

Hi all. I pay most of my recurring bills using Autopay, linked directly to my BOA checking account via my debit card. Recently I had a low balance and when my auto insurance company tried to draw on the account, it was declined. Now I have a letter asking to pay the balance by check & that I will need to use a difference account to pay the bills in the future. 

1. How will this affect my credit score?

2. What is best practice for these recurring bills--is it better to link them to a credit card and pay the balance in full every month?

Thanks for the advice!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Bill Autopay (automatic bill payment) declined - how does this affect credit score?

If I understand correctly, BofA declined the auto pay because you did not have the funds available to pay the bill in full and you did not have overdraft protection.

Based on that information, your credit should not be affected in anyway.

My insurance is billed to my cc, then I pay the cc.  (I earn points this way AND keep the card active! Smiley Happy )

Message 2 of 3
creditmeister
Valued Member

Re: Bill Autopay (automatic bill payment) declined - how does this affect credit score?

Thanks for the information, very helpful!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.