New Visitor
AlphaWolf

Bill collection in my credit record

[ Edited ]
I noticed recently in my credit history that there is a derogatory record, namely a bill collection.

Years back, I went in to get knee surgery at the hospital. I was 21 at the time (25 now) but living with my parents, and my mom was the one who signed the hospital paperwork as she was the policy holder of the medical insurance.

Anyways, a few months pass, and one day just out of the blue I get a letter to me telling me that I have $72 past due to some place called desert anesthesia. I had never received a bill for this at all, just got a collections bill sent to me. I called them and immediately paid this off as I didn't want to damage my credit history, but still believed that I wasn't liable for two reasons: 1, I didn't sign any forms saying that I was liable for any costs, my mom signed all of those, and 2, the insurance company authorized the anesthesia.

But that is ancient history now, and is neither here nor there. However, the bill collection is still on my otherwise flawless credit record, in spite of the fact that they never even bothered to tell me I owed them anything, nor send me a bill, which I figure they should have first before they sent me to a bill collector.

Is there anything I can do to get this wiped off of my credit record? Also, how much if anything should this affect my credit score?

Message Edited by AlphaWolf on 07-29-2007 09:06 PM
Established Contributor
sl

Re: Bill collection in my credit record

Since you already paid the bill, your options are limited. You can write a GW letter and explain your situation to the OC or if it went to the collection agency - to the Credit agency.
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: Bill collection in my credit record

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+