Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Birthdate wrong on report

tag
akmccarthy
New Visitor

Birthdate wrong on report

The birthdate on the report I just received shows my husband's birthdate. Is this something I should bother mailing a certified letter for? I checked reports a few months back, and everything was fine with birthdates. I almost think the computer feed to MyFico caused the problem.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Birthdate wrong on report

Call the CRA's, and get the fax numbers to fax or mail proof of birthday. For consistency you do want your birthday to report correctly on your credit reports.
Message Edited by DI on 08-26-2009 08:33 AM
Message 2 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to DI. You could be denied for future credit based on a wrong birthdate. You may want to pull the other two reports, if you haven't already.

There are three reasons why the date could have changed:

1) Either you or someone applying for credit on your behalf entered the wrong date. Whenever you apply for credit, the info you enter often gets transmitted to the CRAs or the CRA through which the report is used. A great example of this can be found in the demographics section in your CRs. You'll see former names, former addresses, etc., many of which are typos.

2) A lender, during the app process, entered the wrong info. Simple typo. Maybe he/she was looking at your spouse's info and transposed it to yours.

3) A lender, after being approved, had a typo and entered the wrong info. That info then was tranmitted to the CRAs. If this is the case, then all 3 CRs would have the wrong birthdate.

You may want to also check your spouse's CRs to see if it doesn't have your birthdate on them.

Message 3 of 10
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Son of a gun!  I was about to write about my experience with an incorrect birthdate with EQ, which I thought was corrected last year, but after reviewing my recent reports on here and the report obtained directly from annualcreditreport.com, I see that the previous error has reappeared.

My birthdate appears to be a hybrid of my and my DW's birthdays - month and year are correct, but the day of the month is my wife's.  Could be a coincidence (there is a 1 in 31 probability of this), but it could be the result of a lender's error when we obtained a mortgage in 2006 (EQ reports before then have the correct birthday). 

I guess it's time to fix this again.  My EX report from 11/2008 has the correct birthdate.  My TU reports only list my month and year of birth, so as far as I can tell, it's just an EQ problem. 

Message 4 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

BMIs:

3-21-06: 32.2
8-7-07: 30.9
2-15-09: 30.3
4-5-09: 27.8
5-14-09: 26.6
7-16-09: 25.3
8-5-09: 24.9 - WooHoo!

You've come a long way.  Great job on the 24.9 BMI.  I'm at 23.0.

Message 5 of 10
iDShaDoW
Regular Contributor

I had the same issue.  TransUnion and Equifax had the wrong month for my birthdate.  Experian just displays the year, not the month so I didn't have that issue with them.

TransUnion I had to call to get some information and then fax'd them a photocopy of my driver's license and birth certificate.

I was able to do an online dispute with Equifax and they fixed it without me having to fax anything in.  It did say I would have to so I'll have to check again to see if the change stuck.

Message 6 of 10
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Okay, this is no longer funny.  Like I mentioned a couple posts earlier, my birth date was incorrect again after having it corrected in 2008.  So I wrote to Equifax about the error, and within a week (in early September), I received a letter from EQ stating that they had corrected my birth date.  I pulled my EQ report in mid-September, and the birth date was still correct.  I pulled again today, and the incorrect birth date has returned!

So I'm trying to figure out which one of my creditors is responsible for the problem.  I have an EQ report from August 2007 that has the correct birthdate.  A report from April 2008 has the incorrect birthdate.  So, it seemed reasonable that the account reporting incorrectly would have originated during this interval.  I opened one new credit card account during this timeframe, so I thought that this account was the problem.  But that CCC has the correct birth date.

So anyways, I've written yet another letter to EQ to report this problem.  I imagine that I'll get a letter back with the correction, but obviously I have some creditor out there that is still reporting the wrong date.  At least I assume that the error arises with a creditor.  Do I call each and every one to find out what they have on file for my birthday?  Could it be reported by a creditor for a closed account?

Gaaaahh! 

Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You're going to have to call each and every creditor (and believe what they say), unless you have a way of pulling full reports frequently without going broke.

I have Equifax Credit Watch Gold, and I love it. Unlimited pulls of the full report --soft inqs and all --for a flat fee every month. I'd pull my report every three days until I saw the wrong info update, and then look at who updated during that interim. Otherwise, you're reduced to dealing with frontline CSR's who haven't a clue what you're calling about.

Good luck with this. Correcting demographics is one of the biggest PITA's you'll encounter. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, HTSU.....I think......Smiley Wink

Still can't figure out why one my old creditors would have inexplicably changed my birth date.  I guess I'll be making a lot of phone calls tomorrow.....

Message 9 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Lel wrote:

Thanks, HTSU.....I think......Smiley Wink

Still can't figure out why one my old creditors would have inexplicably changed my birth date.  I guess I'll be making a lot of phone calls tomorrow.....

lol, everyone needs a hobby!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.