cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA pulled a hard inquiry on me for a Checking acct...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA pulled a hard inquiry on me for a Checking acct...

I just pulled my Experian report 2nite and saw that BofA pulled a hard inquiry on me. I recently opened a checking acct with them because I found a promotion that they would deposit $100 bucks into my acct. within 1st 3 months. I didn't apply for a cc and I'm receiving no credit from them. It's a checking acct that I plan to close after in 4 mths after I get my $100. Has anyone else had this happen? Is this standard for BofA? If it's standard then I won't try and fight it. If this is playing dirty on part of BofA then what kind of letter can I write to BofA? My CR said that I had 3 new accts opened in past yr. I opened 2 CC's in August, so this checking acct must be the 3rd. Had I known this was going to happen, I would not have opened the bank acct.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: BofA pulled a hard inquiry on me for a Checking acct...

It's normal and disclosed in the section where you enter your SSN.  Quite a few banks do it.  They could make it more apparent that they are doing a hard INQ though... but it is there.

Ummm.   Can you please PM me with that offer code you got for the checking?  Smiley Wink
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 4
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

I should add that when applying for a checking account at an institution that does do a hard INQ, that's the time to add a CC app onto the banking app since you are getting hit anyway.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 3 of 4
Cooneyca
Regular Contributor

Same thing happened to me - 2x.  I opened a savings account with Capital One and Amtrust (Ohio Savings Bank).  I was shocked and dismayed to see the two hard inquiries on my reports.  I suppose it's valid. 

caliking wrote:
I just pulled my Experian report 2nite and saw that BofA pulled a hard inquiry on me. I recently opened a checking acct with them because I found a promotion that they would deposit $100 bucks into my acct. within 1st 3 months. I didn't apply for a cc and I'm receiving no credit from them. It's a checking acct that I plan to close after in 4 mths after I get my $100. Has anyone else had this happen? Is this standard for BofA? If it's standard then I won't try and fight it. If this is playing dirty on part of BofA then what kind of letter can I write to BofA? My CR said that I had 3 new accts opened in past yr. I opened 2 CC's in August, so this checking acct must be the 3rd. Had I known this was going to happen, I would not have opened the bank acct.

Jan 07: tu 498, ex 501, eq 504
Oct 07: tu 716, ex 712, eq 723
Nov 07: tu 693, ex 664, eq 672_post app frenzy
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.