Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brinks salesman lied to me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brinks salesman lied to me

While applying to get an alarm on my house, I had to give out my SS#.  The salesman told me he was going to do a soft pull which would only look to see if I had previous history with their company.  I specifically asked him is this going to look at my credit report.  He said no.  I received an alert a day later with Brinks name all over it.  I confronted him and he said he did not know that they were going to do a hard pull.  They are due to install in a couple weeks and I still owe some money toward the installation.  I can pull out and just say forget it.  I understand that 1 inquiry is not going to hurt me much, but it is a moral issue.  What would you do/suggest I do?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Brinks salesman lied to me

Look at your paperwork-

This is a contract- they likely do have PP but most will spell it out as a HARD must be initiated by you the customer.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sure there is a cancelation clause in you contract that must be done to a T.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had this happen to me too recently.  I had to do with my business and a merchant account. Made a change to the business name but all else was the same. They had to start a new account for the business but assured me that it would not require a new credit pull.  Well, rest assured, I got 2 hard iquiries for it... I called and spoke to their credit department. The girl told me she would see what she could do. She contact the CRA and after a few weeks had them removed. So, if they want to, they CAN fix this.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to tell them that you had a specific conversation with the salesman about not wanting a hard inquiry on your report and then tell them that they did it anyway and it resulted in a drop in your credit score.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

ADT pulled a hard inquiry on me last summer and it cost me 14 points.  But--it is in the itty-bitty print in the contract that they will do so.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

ObsessedwithmyFico wrote:
ADT pulled a hard inquiry on me last summer and it cost me 14 points.  But--it is in the itty-bitty print in the contract that they will do so.

Argh. 14 points. Makes ya so mad doesn't it? They pull credit for everything these days. Geez.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.