Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broke into the 700,s only to have FP send me way back down

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

Broke into the 700,s only to have FP send me way back down

I've been rebuilding my credit steadily since I joined these great boards In December of 2012. My scores at that time were in the 580 range. I had 2 secured cards in good standing and around 8 baddies including a $300 charge off from First Premier from 2008.

i was able to get all my baddies removed except for the First Premier charge off and I added a lot of new credit since 2012 and I now have some great rewards cards and around 120k in available credit. My scores hit 717 and 713 on TU and EQ respectively in April.

I have continued my battle with First Premier to remove the charge off or correct the inaccurate reporting of the charge off to no avail. In fact through my battle to get them to report correctly, they have continuously updated the charge off with new inaccurate info and each time they do an update it sets me bsck 40 to 50 points.

i hired a comsjmer attorney to deal with them directly and they most recently did an update yhat dropped my TU to 658 and EQ to 656. I believe that they are going out of there way to punitively punish me for harassing them for the last year and a half.

My attorney has given them until Friday to respond before he files suit for violations of the FCRA. 

Im still amazed at the impact a 6 year old charge off can have on my credit report. I have 30 accounts, 22 open and 8 closed, all in good standing, 19% Util, 3 inq on each report and decent credit limits, yet my score would suggest Im not responsible enough of a borrower to qualify for an AMEX, CSP etc.

had I just left FP alone, I'm thinking my scores would be over 720 at this point. The FP charge off will fall off in a year so when that happens I'm sure I will be close fo 760 or higher. I just think it's crazy that my score is being so drastically impacted by the "update" of an old charge off without any material change on my report. This aspect of Fico scoring seems very unfair and not truly indicative of my true responsibility as a borrower.

I'm hoping FP will relent since it is probably not in their interest to spend money fighting a law suit when the derogatory item will be removed in less than 12 months, but I wouldn't put anything past whay I would consider the "Bank of Satan"

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
EW800
Valued Contributor

Re: Broke into the 700,s only to have FP send me way back down

Very sorry to read of your battle with FP.  It sounds like it is wise that you have an attorney supporting you.  I am far from an expert in this area, therefore I would be out of place making any suggestions.  If I may ask however, what is the inaccurate information that they are reporting and what is it that they keep updating that forces the constant score drops.  The reason I ask is that I have a Charge-Off/Settled for Less Than Full Amount from just two years ago that I am keeping an eye on.  It has not updated in the two years, so hopefully I am okay as far as it aging.  

It sounds like once this comes off your report, you will be looking much better.  I would think that the 19% UTIL might be holding you down just a bit now as well, so if that comes down between now and when FP falls off, you will really be looking good.  Congratulations!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.