Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Leases - Texas

tag
Dawn
Established Contributor

Broken Leases - Texas

My DD#1's B/F has a couple of broken leases that were turned over to collections years ago and appear on his reports.  (I haven't seen them so I probably don't have anywhere near enough information to make sense out of any of it ... but I'm trying.)

I believe that they are almost 7 years old and possibly about to come off his report.  On one of them, he was only an "occupant" but is being held jointly accountable.  I don't think they can do that. 

I'm under the impression that during a time period when the CAs were shuffling the debt around, dates were changed and there may be a problem with the dates. However, he doesn't have any paperwork at all from that period of time in his life.  He wasn't under my watchful eye at that point in his life.  Smiley Wink

Someone else had posted somewhere on the forums that the SOL in Texas for certain kinds of debt was 4 years, and that seems to apply, making it seem like this might vaporize soon.  Although I am an advocate of ... if you owe it ... pay it ... he's almost at the end of this cycle and has paid for this issue in more ways than one (except the one the CAs and apartments care about.) 

His inclination is to let it slide until it disappears ... but even if it disappears off his credit report, how does that impact him as far as being able to rent future apartments?  As it is, he is severely limited in this regard ... and I don't think it is solely because it is on his credit report.  The sources the apartment communities utilize to check up on tenants maintain this data, but I don't know how long or how to check it.

Does anyone know how long the broken lease information is maintained on individuals?  Does it "disappear" after a while like the derogs do on a credit report?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Broken Leases - Texas

They say the seven year rule works...but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. My old roommate had the same problem. He was always screwing over his leases and leaving $1200 bills and having them sent to collections. It caught up with him and now he can't get a place. But a few rental places have told him if he pays the debts and shows proof of payment they will approve him for a place. Your guy may need to do this just to show good faith.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.