cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building credit as a young adult - Looking for advice

tag
DM326

Building credit as a young adult - Looking for advice

Hey guys, let me start off by saying I've definitely made the search feature work extra hard for me in my quest for answers, and everyones' situation is different so, I figured I'd post here and look for some friendly advice.

I'm an avid browser of credit forums but have never posted; I apologize if these questions are answered somewhere blatently obvious.

Here's the dillema:

I'm 22 years old. My credit history is limited. I have 2 credit cards currently, a $1500 20%apr Discover More (Currently a 1,300 balance, I bought a laptop when I opened the card, bad decision I know, I was uneducated then), and a $500 22%apr Capital One Mastercard (I keep the balance at ~50 bucks and pay in full). I've had 3 total - my oldest being a CareCredit card (yeah, I don't know why I applied for that either), but that was my first and it was approved for $800. I JUST recieved a letter today in the mail, stating I never used the card in 12 months and they closed the account. So there goes that. Other than that, I don't really have anything on my credit. A small $1000 student loan that was paid off with no late payments, and that's it. I currently have 4 hard inquiries on my report.

I've recently educated myself on credit. Scouring the internet for all the tips and tricks. I know it's important, and I've recently been bit by the "Do everything I possibly can to build my credit score within my means" bug.  I'm VERY responsible with my money.  I've been on my own for my whole adult life and I never wanted to make the same financial mistakes my parents did. I've made every payment early and usually pay ~10 bucks over the minimum (I do what I can afford, which isn't too much).

I'm approaching my deadline for my 0% apr for 15 months on my discover card, and I dread the interest hitting my account in about a month or less.

I want to build my credit, I hate the idea of secured cards even though I know they are great building blocks, and I really would like to find an appropriate balance transfer so that I may possibly dodge the interest, or at least have a lower rate. My salary is laughable at best...I pull about $1,500 a month working at a Deli, so I know when creditors see that, they don't neccessarily want to make it rain on me with a good CLI, or any card for that matter. But it's what I have to work with, and I spend within my means.

My direct questions:

Best way to build from this point?
&

Best way to handle my upcoming interest charges?

Thank you for any/all advice, and taking the time to read this. I know it was wall of text but I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Regards,

Devon.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Building credit as a young adult - Looking for advice

IMO, I'd avoid applying for new credit and I'd let what you have age.

I'd also freeze use of credit until the Discover gets paid off. The balance isn't insurmountable. You can easily pay that off before the end of the year. That's less than $200/mo, or maybe $250 or so with interest. Just start paying it now.

Message 2 of 4
DM326

Gothcha. Whats your opinion on credit unions?  I've read that credit unions have a much less grim credit requierment when it comes down to it. Would looking into that be beneficial? Or is one more hard inquiry not worth it?

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I like CUs. I belong to 4 of them and well worth the hard inquiry (usually) needed to join, IMO. Certainly be selective based on your goals (e.g. rates, approval odds, benefits, etc.).

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.