Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building credit with 2 cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Building credit with 2 cards

I have 2 credit cards and I'm waiting for my $500 to become available in my Alliant savings to app for the SSL. I have a capital one card and a khol's card. $300 limit on both. My cap 1 card is 3 months old so I won't have a fico score until April or May. Should I apply for a 3rd card? And what would the best one be to apply for with a decent chance for approval with very limited credit. I'm trying for the 3 AZEO technique. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Building credit with 2 cards

Personally I would wait until you have a FICO score before applying for a third score.  By that time you will also have fully implemented the SSL technique as well.

In the meantime, if I were you I would also be sure you have used each card, let it report a positive balance on the statement, and then pay it off.  AZEO is great but cards can be cancelled if they have never reported a positive balance even once.  (We had a case of that not long ago here on the forum.)  In the case of the Kohl's, be sure you buy something you really want -- it's a shame to ever spend even a dime more than you have to on a card simply out of a desire to game the scoring system.

After that moving into AZEO and keeping your total util in the 1-8% range should be fine.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. Thank you for the advice. Yeah, my utilization on my cap 1 has been excellent so far. I'm at 5% now and never went above 10%. I bought one thing on my kohl's card so far. Just a wallet that I needed. But I'm trying to keep things slow and steady in the meantime.

Message 3 of 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Dont rush it, take your time and build right. Just because one can app, doesnt necessarily mean one shouldSmiley Wink Wait for your score to generate. Your profile will thank youSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.