cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA/Late Payment Dispute. Order of Operations?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA/Late Payment Dispute. Order of Operations?

I have question in regard to two items that are being reported on my reports from a couple of the CRAs.  Basically, I have read many of the postings with regard to disputing items on one's credit report, but I am having a very hard time understanding in what order I should attempt to try different methods.

First I have a collection reported from 8/2005.  This collection was in regard to a bill from Dominion Virginia Power.  When I was moving in July of 2005 I contacted Dominion, requested to close my account and pay my final bill at that time (which I did) and I updated my account information with a new forwarding address.  I heard nothing else about the account until I received a collection notice from NCO Financial collection agency about a year later.  At that point I contacted Dominion and complained that I had both asked and been told that I had paid all final amounts on that account (in 2005) and had furthermore provided them with an accurate forwarding address.  It seemed ridiculous that they would have sent a bill to collections without ever sending it to my forwarding address which is what happened.  I any case, I paid the amount to Dominion and now my credit report shows a Collection that is Paid.

What should I do? Write/call dominion about the item, write/call the collection agency, dispute with the credit agencies, write a good will letter to dominion or to the CA?  Should I try all of these at the same time?

Second, I have a 30 day late payment to Bank of America on a couple reports from the CRAs.  This occured in June of 2003.  With regard to that item, I spoke to the credit card company (which was MBNA) at that time in 2003 and explained that although it was a late payment I had never received a bill from them and didn't realize that a payment was late until it was reported.  I spoke to Bank of America today and asked them to investigate the item (which sounded to me like they were sending off a status request to the credit reporting agencies).  If I don't hear back from them in 35 days does that mean they will have to remove the item?  Should I dispute with the CRAs and send good will letters to Bank of America now?

Thanks for your help,

Thomas
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA/Late Payment Dispute. Order of Operations?

tyagel wrote:
I have question in regard to two items that are being reported on my reports from a couple of the CRAs.  Basically, I have read many of the postings with regard to disputing items on one's credit report, but I am having a very hard time understanding in what order I should attempt to try different methods.

First I have a collection reported from 8/2005.  This collection was in regard to a bill from Dominion Virginia Power.  When I was moving in July of 2005 I contacted Dominion, requested to close my account and pay my final bill at that time (which I did) and I updated my account information with a new forwarding address.  I heard nothing else about the account until I received a collection notice from NCO Financial collection agency about a year later.  At that point I contacted Dominion and complained that I had both asked and been told that I had paid all final amounts on that account (in 2005) and had furthermore provided them with an accurate forwarding address.  It seemed ridiculous that they would have sent a bill to collections without ever sending it to my forwarding address which is what happened.  I any case, I paid the amount to Dominion and now my credit report shows a Collection that is Paid.

What should I do? Write/call dominion about the item, write/call the collection agency, dispute with the credit agencies, write a good will letter to dominion or to the CA?  Should I try all of these at the same time?

Second, I have a 30 day late payment to Bank of America on a couple reports from the CRAs.  This occured in June of 2003.  With regard to that item, I spoke to the credit card company (which was MBNA) at that time in 2003 and explained that although it was a late payment I had never received a bill from them and didn't realize that a payment was late until it was reported.  I spoke to Bank of America today and asked them to investigate the item (which sounded to me like they were sending off a status request to the credit reporting agencies).  If I don't hear back from them in 35 days does that mean they will have to remove the item?  Should I dispute with the CRAs and send good will letters to Bank of America now?

Thanks for your help,

Thomas

First I would dispute the lates to BOA  as never late. If it comes back verified....send them a MOV.

In the MOV  they need to tell you who they talked to at BOA....if they just say it was verified by automation...there is another letter to send to them.

If the MOV doesn't work   send GW letters...after all you have a good record since then.

As to the collection....you paid the OC  i believe....first I would dispute it with CRAs. If verified I would send GW letters & put everything in it. Paid ,left forwarding address, never received bill. I fell that this was not my fault & by reporting to CRAs you are hurting my credit.

Keep i mind that this all takes time. CRAs have 30 days to  complete disputes. GW letters may not get answered. In which case I would wait 6 weeks (and check CR to see if it was deleted or changed) and send another letter...keep it up until they get sick of hearing from you.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.