Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA Tax Lien from 1990

tag
Gotagoal
Regular Contributor

CA Tax Lien from 1990

What can I say to dispute a CA Tax Lien from 1990? It's only reported on 1 CB (not all 3). Will it ever go away? I'd like to call them to see if they will accept the orig amt of $1200 instead of the $6000+ that they are asking for due to interest. The CR is only showing $1200 on TU. Ugh. It's the one big baddie that I have left and need to deal with. Any guidance is appreciated Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA Tax Lien from 1990

how long does tax lien stay on the credit reports in ca?
Message 2 of 13
Gotagoal
Regular Contributor

I don't know. That's a great question. I'm in WA and lived in CA in 1990. Does anyone know the answer?
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe an unpaid tax lien stays until paid and 7yrs if paid. Check out the 101 thread

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&message.id=11303

Message Edited by nikkoslilmouse on 07-13-2007 06:48 AM
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think in CA tax liens stay 10years.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing you have to consider...Is the state is not held to the same standard as a creditor. That un- paid tax lien can be pop up back on your report(s) any time!
Message 6 of 13
Valued Member

Irvin wrote:
how long does tax lien stay on the credit reports in ca?

Tax Lien's stay on credit report up to 7 years starting the time the debt is satisfied. So if you decide to pay it now 2007 expect it to be removed around 2014.

Good luck
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly!  If you leave it un-paid it will stay on your for 10 years. If its paid  (satisfied) it will drop in 7 years.  The kicker here is even if you wait the 10 years and it drops they can re-new the lien 10 year intervals, and start the clock all over again! I would pay the state and be done with it! IMHO
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, don't forget, that once it's paid you need a release from the state/courts/ftb. The clock does not start ticking until you get that release. For example if you paid that lien last year, but you didn't get the release until this year, you start counting your states SOL from this year. Smiley Surprised

Message Edited by Lori344 on 07-13-2007 09:11 AM
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a satisfied tax lien ($12.00) and I went down to the tax office and the release date, which was by then 8 or 9 years prior was used by the CRAs to remove the item.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.