Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA allowed to collect in NY ?

tag
preci0uz
Regular Contributor

CA allowed to collect in NY ?

Hi everyone, How could I find out if a CA is allowed to collect in New York? I just can't seem to find anything.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA allowed to collect in NY ?

Edit: Sorry, I think that is New York City, not state.....I'll look some more.

Update: From what I read New York State doesn't require a license/bond/or fee for debt collectors. Buffalo and NYC both require something tho.

This may or may not be accurate, it did not come from the state website or any government website.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 03-15-2008 07:32 AM
Message 2 of 6
preci0uz
Regular Contributor

I'm in NYC so I guess they do need to be licensed. So if the CA is not licensed and they are trying to collect, is that legal?
Message 3 of 6
preci0uz
Regular Contributor

I have to 2 CA that are not lincesed to collect in New York.

I got this off the website...

"New York City law prohibits harassment or abuse by collectors. All debt collection agencies that seek to collect debts from New York City residents must be licensed by the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA). All debt collection agencies must comply with the City’s Consumer Protection Law and rules enacted by DCA, or risk suspension or revocation of their licenses by DCA."

http://home2.nyc.gov/html/dca/downloads/pdf/Debt.pdf

Can I report them and force them to remove from my credit report?

Message Edited by preci0uz on 03-15-2008 07:48 AM
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is an excellent question to which I would like to know the answer.

Is a debt collection only relevant to the present location of the debtor? 
Meaning if debtor exectuted a contract in STATE A but now resides in STATE B.  Does the laws of STATE  B (or city in this case) trump that of STATE A.

I know that things like SOL are bound by the state to which the contract was executed or where you reside, which ever option gives the creditor advantage.

However, I am not sure, legally how collections are governed in this regard.

Any experts on this?
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where you are NOW is where they are 'pursuing' you - so they have to follow the rules of where you are.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.