cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA buys an account that's already been removed? Has anyone ever had this happen?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA buys an account that's already been removed? Has anyone ever had this happen?

I ran my credit report and saw a collections account from T-Mobile that i know I didn't owe. I disputed with the CA; they never responded, so I disputed with the three agencies. They all removed the account from my reports. Today, I got  a letter from a new collection agency that had purchased the account from the previous CA that had never validated the debt. They are proposing a settlement and promising they will report it to the CAs as "paid." 

If this collection account has already been removed from my credit because it was never validated, why is there another agency trying to collect on it? Should I respond? Can it go on my credit again? 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CA buys an account that's already been removed? Has anyone ever had this happen?

Yes.. it can be bought by another CA and they can post to your TL.  You say you don't owe.  Do you have proof of this?  First off I would send them a DV now as it will be timely and bar them from any further collection activity until they can validate.  This will include them not posting to your CR as that is a form of collection activity.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA buys an account that's already been removed? Has anyone ever had this happen?

The account is so old any proof I have is long gone. It's been off my report for over a year and had been on there for at least 3. But if the last agency couldn't verify it, what would this new one have that the other one didn't? 

Message 3 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The account is so old any proof I have is long gone. It's been off my report for over a year and had been on there for at least 3. But if the last agency couldn't verify it, what would this new one have that the other one didn't? 

I have found that the older an account gets and the harder it is for the CA to collect,  the more bottom feeder of a CA seems to show up. Get that DV going before they post to your CR.  Once they post a DV doesn't require them to remove, it gets a little harder.

July 2013 score:

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help! The letter says I have 30 days...should I wait until it's closer to the 30 days? Can they report before that?

Message 5 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Send it now.  Until they receive your timely DV which prevents them from any further collections of the debt until they validate, they can post to your CR.

July 2013 score:

Message 6 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The key to your situation is that the prior reporting of a collection was disputed, and it was deleted, apparently based on lack of verification.

In such cases, no party may have the collection reinserted without first following the reinsertion provisions of FCRA 611(a)(5)(B).

That requires, among other things, that the debt collector first provide certification of accuracy of the deleted information to the CRA.

They may do so, but it is not a simple matter of their just reporting and CRA entry.

Yes, send a DV, which will temporarily block credit reporting.  If they should verify the accuracy of the debt, the cease collection bar will no longer apply, and they could attempt reinsertion.  But not as a simple entitlement.  They would have to provide two separate verifications.... one of the debt to overcome the cease collection bar, and the other of the accuracy of the information that remains unverified due to the prior dispute.

Message 7 of 11
XxRaVeNxX
Regular Contributor

I wouldn't worry about it...they probably have 100's of collections that they don't have to verify with...One of my collections still contacts(automated) me via phone, when I disputed it through CRA, and they couldn't verify...I guess, I should send them a DV Letter

Chase Southwest $5000 - November 2012 Wal Mart $1000 - November 2012 NFCU Visa $5,000 - Sept 2012 NFCU NavCheck $3,000 - October 2012 Amazon $900 - Aug 2012 Kay's Jewlery $2700 - Aug 2012 Buckle $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Roaman's $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Capital One Secured $225 - April 2012 Capital One Platinum $2500 - July 2012
Message 8 of 11
compassion101
Established Contributor

Send a DV letter to the new CA within the 30 days. Send it certified mail. I assume their letter follows the correct procedures for a dunning letter?

Message 9 of 11
Kidcat
Established Contributor

Will the CRA's require this automatically or should it be pointed out to the CA?

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.