Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA keeps verifying re-aged debt

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

CA keeps verifying re-aged debt

I have an account that I disputed in Feb 08, beyond SOL and was falling off my report in Feb 08.  It was only showing on TU.  TU deleted it. 

The CA reversed the account number and reinserted in on TU and now EQ.  I sent them a DV which they ignored.  Their 35 days was up 1 week ago.

I again disputed it after the 30 days and it still comes back verified.

What do I do now?  I have a copy of the original CR from TU.  I also have a letter from the CA showing the old account number and the new CR showing the reversed account numbers.

Should I fax copies of all these to the CRA along with the DV, GC and certified mail receipt I sent the CA?

I want to send a ITS along with it and to the CA but do not know if I should.

Any advice or suggestions?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA keeps verifying re-aged debt

I suggest you head to small claims court and sue their sorry butts. You will need to review exactly what parts of the FDCPA and FCRA they violated then remember that it's $1000 per violation up to the maximum your state/locality will allow you to file for in small claims court.

Then when you file your case, contact your state's AG, the BBB where the CA is and the CA's state AG as well. Also file a complaint with the FTC against them. Then I would send a letter to each of the CRAs that are showing the trade line and a copy of your small claims filing and threaten a suit against them if it isn't removed within 5 days.

Not saying that will get it off your reports right now but I guarantee you will win some money against the CA for violating the FDCPA and the FCRA. And I'm sure the CA will back down and remove it and probably request a delete for a dismissal of the case. I personally wouldn't accept that offer, but if it works for you then do it.
Message 2 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I have already filed complaints with the BBB, FTC and the state AG.  The CA happens to be in my state.

I just got off the phone with a consumer attorneys office.  I am going in with all my paperwork next week to talk with them.  I have a few others that have also commited violations and I am going to try and do this all at once.

No, I will not accept a delete for dismissal.  Their violations have caused me undue stress and job loss.  I intend to sue for the max amount possible.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's that serious then yes I would go through federal court where you can collect WAYYYYY more than small claims court. The bad part is it could be a LONG time until it is resolved. Good luck.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Bam!

I lost a very nice Goldman Sachs job last April due to my total collections.  Now I'm noticing the that the MAIN collection I had (10K) was reported TWICE and Goldman doesn't hire people with collections greater than 10K and I lost the job.  I've sent a DV/SOL ltr (SOL exp 02/07).

I'm hoping they don't validate but I wonder what my course of action should be should they validate.  If I escalate it to ITS I can use the job loss as result of the dup as a defense as well right as I have proof of that.

SerenityBound...indeed!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That stinks about the job but if it is double reporting that's up to the CRAs to fix. I would dispute with them as well as sending a CMRRR to the CA. If it isn't removed I'd go all out for both of them.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.