cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA looking at Credit report, am i paranoid?

tag
treschic
Frequent Contributor

CA looking at Credit report, am i paranoid?

is it possible for a ca, knowing that they can no longer collect on a certain debt for you, to knowingly purchase certain debts for specific individuals? 

For example, i wrote a few weeks ago, about first getting a letter from assett acceptance regarding them noticing that i had a mortgage inquiry and wanted to know if i wanted to settle my debt/obligations to them from a '99 dell account that has since disappearred off my report.  2 weeks later, received a letter from them regarding them having an account  from bally's for me.  i was reviewing my ex report, and noticed that they've been looking at my report through "soft inquiries" periodically, even after the dell account was deleted, with dates such as 04/13/2008
04/01/2008, 02/01/2008, 12/08/2007, 06/08/2007,  and a few other dates. 

does anyone have any experiences like this? it seems like they're just periodically looking at your report, looking for activity, so they can look for debts for you.  am i being paranoid or is this a reality?  i don't see why after the dell account was sol in '2002 why they would still be looking at my report.  i do understand that ca can ask for payment indefinently, but does this mean that they can indefinently look at your credit reports, since you will forever have a "credit relationship with them?"  thanks for any feedback, and sorry for rambling.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: CA looking at Credit report, am i paranoid?

I have CAs looking at my report who I have no accounts with. After I started trying to clean up my credit, they started coming out of the woodwork. I have one that I am paying and they have an account that is well over 10 years old that I will not pay. Palisades has looked at my report every month for 6 months. They must think I am going to get rich over night.

I also believe that CAs think we are stupid and do not know the laws on collection, credit reporting and so forth. Before I knew anything about SOL and this forum, they could call, scare me and I would at a minimum, make payment arrangements with them.

I started getting letters right after my first dispute with one of the CRAs.

I have a few hard inquiries and a lot of soft inquiries from Oct 07 till now.
Message 2 of 5
treschic
Frequent Contributor

that's apart of my problem right now.  i didn't think it was possible, but my credit score is worse now than it was before i started this "credit repair journey".  i had all types of ca's, and co's, many of which legitimatley didn't belong to me.  i began to dv, and dispute, and many of them came off easily, while others were stubburn, and i had to pfd from all types of angles, even as far as emailing all of the company execs, which did pay off with 1 company that had 5 ca's for me.  others, i paid the oc who agreed to delete, and disputed with the cra's, that the account was paid, since it still reflected unpaid status for many months on my cr's.  but pretty much 90% of the old stuff that was keeping my credit score low is now gone.  i didn't know then that ca's look at your cr, and will start putting old accounts on your credit report.  so, now, i'm left with alot of "new collections", that are really on old debts, but not out of the 7 year period, but they're recently added. and what's worse is that only 1 of the baddies on my report is for an actual credit card account, the rest are medical bills, and copays', and student loans that were supposed to be in defferrment but werent'.  whats worse is that my eq is my best report, with only 4 ca's, only 1 of which is unpaid, which i plan to pay asap, but it's my worst score at 501.  and i don't get how, i've managed to still tank my score, with less ca's.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just responded to another post about Asset. They have been softing me constantly on my EX report and I have no clue why. I have cleaned up my reports, applied for a mortgage so, I am sure that got some attention.
Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@angiepharm wrote:
that's apart of my problem right now. i didn't think it was possible, but my credit score is worse now than it was before i started this "credit repair journey". i had all types of ca's, and co's, many of which legitimatley didn't belong to me. i began to dv, and dispute, and many of them came off easily, while others were stubburn, and i had to pfd from all types of angles, even as far as emailing all of the company execs, which did pay off with 1 company that had 5 ca's for me. others, i paid the oc who agreed to delete, and disputed with the cra's, that the account was paid, since it still reflected unpaid status for many months on my cr's. but pretty much 90% of the old stuff that was keeping my credit score low is now gone. i didn't know then that ca's look at your cr, and will start putting old accounts on your credit report. so, now, i'm left with alot of "new collections", that are really on old debts, but not out of the 7 year period, but they're recently added. and what's worse is that only 1 of the baddies on my report is for an actual credit card account, the rest are medical bills, and copays', and student loans that were supposed to be in defferrment but werent'. whats worse is that my eq is my best report, with only 4 ca's, only 1 of which is unpaid, which i plan to pay asap, but it's my worst score at 501. and i don't get how, i've managed to still tank my score, with less ca's.

I am hoping I have nothing that is old I do not remember. Most of what I am aware of is over 7 years old. My EQ is only 490 and it has the least amount of adverse accounts, 5. Overall I have 22 in good standing. I realize 2 of the baddies are CO, one a year old and one 6 months. And my scores dropped also when I started the quest to repair my credit. I guess somethings can only be repaired with time.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.