Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA not sticking to payment arrangement they agreed to

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA not sticking to payment arrangement they agreed to

One of my CAs is for a defaulted school loan from the state. I've been extremely lucky that they've never tried to garnish or get a judgment for it. I tried several times to get the state to take it back, but they told me I have to deal with the CA. I kept calling back to get someone new, but never was able to get anyone to agree to take it back. I finally gave up and called the CA who was surprisingly nice. We worked out a payment agreement I could afford ($50 a month) and a due date that was comfortable for me (21st). I told them I'd send extra when I could, but it wouldn't be every month. I asked for and received this agreement in writing on their letterhead.

Last month I sent $100. This month I sent $75. I mailed it today. I went back up to check the mail after it ran and found a letter from the CA. At first, I thought they'd sent me another copy of the payment arrangement we'd worked out, but after reading it, I realized they've changed it. Now they have that my payment is $100 a month and it's due the 15th.

I am not happy about this. I agreed to $50 a month because I knew that was an amount I could afford without it cutting into my money for necessities. We pretty much live paycheck to paycheck so once our bills are paid, there's not much left. I only sent more than the payment because we've had a little extra cash, something that will be changing soon as my husband is in construction and his work is slowing down now that it's getting cooler. Also, they didn't send the letter until the 13th and I didn't get it until today (the new due date) so there's no way I could have it there in time even if I decided to pay the new amount.

I was thinking I'd call them on Monday and let them know the new payment arrangement is not what I agreed to and I want it changed back to the original one. If they refuse, I don't know what to do. I can't afford $100 every month without taking the money from necessities, something I refuse to do. Should I just send the payments to the OC and let them sort it out? Would the CAs actions be considered unfair or deceptive practices?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CA not sticking to payment arrangement they agreed to

CAs word is never their bond. Good thing you had everything in writing. Maybe this can work in your favor. I'd send a PFD and kindly point out that they broke your previous agreement on the $50 and the 21st. I'd extend as an addendum to the previous agreement that the CA delete the account once the debt is paid in full.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CA not sticking to payment arrangement they agreed to

If you read through the threads you will see over & over DO NOT TALK TO A CA!! Everything in writting!!!!!!!

If you haven't sent the a DV  do it NOW    CMRRR     do NOT sign it just type your name!

You should ALWAYS DV any CA.......you want to know if they were assigned the account or do they own it....this is very important!

Send them a letter  stating your terms...if they will accept them they MUST sign it and mail it back!

AND  NEVER SIGN YOUR NAME TO A CA!!!!!  just type your name

Message Edited by HappyDays on 12-15-2007 07:53 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.