Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAC Military card includes your SSN?

tag
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

CAC Military card includes your SSN?

I received an email from Andrews FCU today saying:

"CAC Scan is an Android application that scans the barcode on a CAC card and decodes that information. The information that the App is able to retrieve from the CAC card includes the ID type, social security number, EDIPI, first name, last name, middle initial, and rank. According to the Google™ play store this application has been downloaded 100-500 times and was last updated on April 20th, 2016

Army Counter-Intel is working with the creators to remove the application. Do not download and do not use this application. Ensure that your CAC is with you at all times and stored in a secured location when not in use."

I thought the days of printing your SSN on an ID were long gone.  But according to this email, it says your SSN is encoded on the bar code for military common access cards.   With high definition cameras so common, I am sure pics are floating around.  Joe Blow takes a selfie.  Posts on facebook.  Next thing you know Joe Blow's name and SSN are for sale on the dark net.  SMH.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

Re: CAC Military card includes your SSN?

@CreditDunce wrote:

I received an email from Andrews FCU today saying:

"CAC Scan is an Android application that scans the barcode on a CAC card and decodes that information. The information that the App is able to retrieve from the CAC card includes the ID type, social security number, EDIPI, first name, last name, middle initial, and rank. According to the Google™ play store this application has been downloaded 100-500 times and was last updated on April 20th, 2016

Army Counter-Intel is working with the creators to remove the application. Do not download and do not use this application. Ensure that your CAC is with you at all times and stored in a secured location when not in use."

I thought the days of printing your SSN on an ID were long gone.  But according to this email, it says your SSN is encoded on the bar code for military common access cards.   With high definition cameras so common, I am sure pics are floating around.  Joe Blow takes a selfie.  Posts on facebook.  Next thing you know Joe Blow's name and SSN are for sale on the dark net.  SMH.

Yes they did away with SSN on the exterior of the CAC a few years ago and replaced them with the EDIP number.  However, personal information is still stored on the CAC.  With that said, I always had to enter my CAC PIN before I could view any of it as it was protected information.  Sounds like someone created an application that bypasses the PIN requirement.

Message 2 of 3
iv
Valued Contributor

Re: CAC Military card includes your SSN?

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

Yes they did away with SSN on the exterior of the CAC a few years ago and replaced them with the EDIP number.  However, personal information is still stored on the CAC.  With that said, I always had to enter my CAC PIN before I could view any of it as it was protected information.  Sounds like someone created an application that bypasses the PIN requirement.

PIN only protects the info on the chip.

CAC Scan just reads the effectively-plaintext PDF417 barcode...

...which contains both the EDIP and SSN. (And name/rank.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.