Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC offers, what I might expect

tag
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CC offers, what I might expect

You should be able to get some store cards... any interest in those?

Macys, Target, Bloomingdales, Walmart, and Kay should be easy for you to get.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I continue to learn, and recently I learned that there are 3 types of fico scores - mortgage, auto and cc.  My mortgage and auto aren't that bad with just a few 30day lates.  The credit cards is where I took the hits when I got divorced with charge offs on 4 of them.  I bet they are depressed big time.

So here's the strategy...
1) Have my new wife make me an authorized user on her Chase Card where she's had a long account history, high credit limit and no lates.  That'll help with % balance utilization, but more importantly increase the length of my credit history, and give me a great credit card TL.
2) Get a target and a gas card to improve my types of credit used
3) Start using my two low limit cards just a bit to show a good responsible use of credit.

All that combined should have a substantial impact in a positive way on my cc fico store in particular, and help the overall fico scores some as well.

What do you all think?
Message 12 of 19
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

That seems a very sound plan to me.  You might take some temporary hits on new credit, and too many new cards will reduce the average of your accounts, so step lightly!

Biggest thing to me is frequent payments and very low utilization

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 05-29-2007 10:39 AM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of the plan, item two has me the most concerned....Smiley Indifferent
Message 14 of 19
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have not seen Credit Scoring 101 refernced for a while...

If you have been managing credit for a short time, do not open a lot of new accounts too rapidly. New accounts will lower your average account age, which will have a larger effect on your score if you do not have a lot of other credit information. Also, rapid account build-up can look risky if you are a new credit user. Do your rate shopping for a given loan within a focused period of time. FICO scores distinguish between a search for a single loan and a search for many new credit lines, in part by the length of time over which inquiries occur.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 15 of 19
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Remember to GW those lates!
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never occurred to me to do a GW.  It just might work... Smiley Very Happy
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why get more credit to travel?  Wouldnt it be a better vacation if you paid for it all in cash or a debit card?  Think how relaxing that trip would be not thinking about how you're going to pay for it all when you go back home.

I know how it feels, as I just took my first fully paid for cruise and it was wonderful!!!
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with you, except reservations for auto, plane, hotel, etc. are all set up for CCs.  So my interest is really more in making it easier to manage the trip rather than pay for it.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.