Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFPB

tag
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: CFPB

If the offense is serious enough only a fool would follow advice on any forum. You get what you pay for no matter how high the pedestal the individual places themselves. That's just my opinion. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 11 of 29
Cstone87
New Contributor

Well if the advice I gave to engage the CFPB a federal entity is foolish I hope you never have anything happen that warrants enforcement. Even if not it does help consumers its charter is no different then that of the  FCRA perhaps senator proxmire was a fool for introducing the FCRA. Thanks 

Too many cards
DOJ
Message 12 of 29
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Cstone87 wrote:

Well if the advice I gave to engage the CFPB a federal entity is foolish I hope you never have anything happen that warrants enforcement. Even if not it does help consumers its charter is no different then that of the  FCRA perhaps senator proxmire was a fool for introducing the FCRA. Thanks 

So what does senator proxmire have to do with advice given on a forum? My point is anyone including myself interpreting the laws may not be the best solution. I personally would find legal advice to find a solution to a problem if it was serious enough. I have a right to my opinion as do you. Arrogance isn't a solution.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 13 of 29
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Cstone87 wrote:

First Kenny, af

@Kenny wrote:

@Cstone87 wrote:

It's suspicious your adamant to assist consumers In an open society forum but government agencies are less worthy then a backdoor number? I find that argument sophistry especially as a former ausa. I think a sticky on the CFPB is far greater than a thread on backdoor numbers. Especially when banks dislike the practice. But opine and stifle speech it's a shame. No doubt you will have some

quid pro quo  in response but still conflate the truth. Yes very suspicious and the CFPB should be notified of misinformation is being spread ad a result to injure consumers. I won't continue engaging in a intellectual and moral bankrupt argument. Moderator Lexi. 

As has been stated many times before by many people. This forum is made for the people and by the people; when one has better ideas, one should come forward in a not-so-confrontational way with the better idea. It's not for us to blast everyone and say that it's suspicious - and the like - that something isn't done the way you want it to be done. Sometimes, things are the way they are, just because they haven't been thought of previously. Or maybe, just maybe, some other people don't deem that to be necessary.

One simple truth: if you'd like something to be done, it needs to be asked and in a way that would facilitate someone to want to respond to it. Just my $0.02. (As a person, not a moderator.)

First in lies again your bankrupt and dishonest conjecture. I did make it a point and even said I would author the sticky. I want you to count the inordinate amount of consumers who are not educated on credit and come to THIS FORUM to seek knowledge. Its a shame that you wouldn't promote and instead defile the help of a governmental agency that exist for this exact reason. After reading post after post you have to be either ignorant to the facts or just disingenuous to the community. Lexi first equated the CFPB with credit repair, that in of itself is a false claim.

Second, I find it ironic she went from a sub-prime score to a virtuoso of credit, and accordingly a CPC client. Hmmm.....The fact is the reason this is even a point of contention is raw power, aggrandizement of whats not in FICOs best interest. Consumers educating themselves and not entering the rights afforded to them under 1681 et al,  to 1692 et al. The CFPB has lawmaking authority and would certainty do many on this board a service. Yet we give deference to the BACKDOOR of credit analyst pleading like desperate and improvident consumers when we should have been addressing the underlying issue. So you can respond with whatever your .01 as a person is, but I disagree. Further I certainly wouldn't push it, you seem rather anti-consumer protection. Prior to the CFPB existence Americans had no real recourse. Along came Sen. Elizabeth Warren who's impact on the CFPB has finally but power within a governmental agency. And they act with alacrity. Have you read the inordinate amount of suits against practices. Why did payday lending end? Why did collection agency after collection agency fall? Why did David Osada V. Experian work?? Why did the CFPB sanction data brokers who before hid under the veil of storey. For this not to be a sticky and advice for consumers, irrespective of the financial condition as Lexis proffered I find contemptible. But its ultimately your forum, and you will do whats in FICO and whomever best interest. Its sad because the very people who need help after a long chain of abuses are not easy to find this information accessible. However 28 phone numbers to creditor's and EOs is somehow more pertinent. I have been a member since 2010 and a lurker since 2007 before I joined. I have seen the pattern over and over. 

Do what you think is best. That is my .02 as a "New contributor", MY own meandering experience and witness of these boards. I respectful dissent. Perhaps some things are worth getting upset about. Especially when one sees that they can genuinely help other members with an avenue 97% either do not know of or comprehend the power of the CFPB to correct. I can with certainly, with promptidue it catches the attention of the banks, creditors, et al faster then pleading with some "glorified EO secretary". Either way as stated before I tried to offer my assistance. Shot down for a sophistry of an argument that she made equating the CFPB with assisting people in rebuilding. I am sure they would take issue with that vile assertion. 

Back on the sidelines, as people continue to make improvident choices with no real recourse because they lack the basic tenet of assistance, which these boards are supposed to advance. Sadly stifling speech is diametrically opposed to that very argument you contented to make. Have you read any of the NCLC publications on interpretation with commentary and cases? The powerful consumer lawyer L. Bennett? Either way I am done. This angers me, and that serves no good. I submit you are right MODERATOR. 

In response to the bolded statements,  I have never equated CFPB with credit repair. As to your second point, when I came to myFICO 2-1/2 years ago, my scores were in the mid 600's primarily due to paid fed tax liens and a dismissed Ch 13 from 2005.  How my credit score then OR even now correlates to assets significant enough to become a CPC , I fail to see the link.

Back to your original post,  if there's a piece of information which is repeatedly asked for (old Amex 3X CLI sticky or the somewhat misfortunate backdoor thread you reference), or if there is  something everyone should know about (the GSE's Qualified Mortgage change, ironic in this discussion) then it's a candidate for a sticky.  Keep in mind that not every topic can be stickied.  This is not to say that the subject matter may warrant a sticky in the future. 

Most of the FAQ's and other stickies have been member created, and it takes a lot of time and it's *hard* to do it well frankly unless it's a simple subject. That all said, I'm all for anything which improves resolution and facilitates information exchange especially in Credit Cards and Rebuilding Your Credit where it can be difficult to find good information. Also General is good a candidate for stickies on that thought.

I would suggest take the opportunity to frame the discussion around explicitly what would be in the sticky, and what the benefit would be in terms of the forum as there are lots of things which would benefit consumers, as opposed to continuing the conversation by suggesting those threads that are stickied are not worthy. 

Message 14 of 29
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with everything Lexie has replied back to you on.. and let me add this: No one, and I mean no one, is saying that you can't make this topic. Please make the topic if you feel that it is valuable information for people to see! Information is power, and it's great to give back to the community. If it turns out that it's extremely valuable then it will be stickied, but to say that it should be stickied now is simply premature.
Message 15 of 29
Cstone87
New Contributor

While I respect Lexi articulation and straight forward response. I agree, the problem is how does one petition for such valued and immensely helpful sticky work? Seems arbitrary and not exactly well defined. If one can lead me in the direction I can write a proposal for outline and base it on a treatise from both theNCLC andCFPB. Case law maybe somewhat relevant but the juxtaposition of members you are having difficult issues with creditors, egregious violations of not just theFCRA, butFDCPA,FCBA,FACTA amendments,RESPA,etal I think would serve a legitimate purpose. It is known thatCRAs and its furnish have engaged since time immemorial violations of consumer law. Financial literacy is empowerment, I would think the boards such asfico would assist all member's and advance the education of FL. A topic not really addressed. It was why I was "abrasive". With the benefit of hindsight I apologize to any individual especially Lexi if I was demeaning. sincerely

@Kenny wrote:
I agree with everything Lexie has replied back to you on.. and let me add this: No one, and I mean no one, is saying that you can't make this topic. Please make the topic if you feel that it is valuable information for people to see! Information is power, and it's great to give back to the community. If it turns out that it's extremely valuable then it will be stickied, but to say that it should be stickied now is simply premature.

, though if guidance can be provided I would certainly move with alacrity in writing up such a proposal irrespective if the idea is approved or not by the final arbitrator of the approval process. Again I apologize.

Too many cards
DOJ
Message 16 of 29
tieton
New Contributor

Eh . . . it's never a good idea to come write on the forums after drinking. Smiley Mad

Starting Score (FICO): 420s (OUCH!) across the board. 2/2010 mortgage lender pull. Needless to say, didn't get approved.
Current Score (FICO 11/11/14): EX 709, EQ 696, TU 724
Goal Score: 720+ for EQ AND EX!
Message 17 of 29
Cstone87
New Contributor

Excuse me?

@tieton wrote:

Eh . . . it's never a good idea to come write on the forums after drinking. Smiley Mad

Too many cards
DOJ
Message 18 of 29
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Cstone87 wrote:

I agree, the problem is how does one petition for such valued and immensely helpful sticky work?

Not a problem at all.  Create a thread.  If the information is deemed worthy of a sticky it will be stickied.

Message 19 of 29
tieton
New Contributor

Sorry Cstone, just poking a little fun at the diatribe(s) you've posted here. It just seemed a tad garrulous, confrontational and struck me as silly . . . as if someone was working a bottle of Jameson pretty hard with a GRE study guide in front of them,  and looking for an argument. LOL Carry on . . .

Starting Score (FICO): 420s (OUCH!) across the board. 2/2010 mortgage lender pull. Needless to say, didn't get approved.
Current Score (FICO 11/11/14): EX 709, EQ 696, TU 724
Goal Score: 720+ for EQ AND EX!
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.