Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHILD SUPPORT AND CREDIT REPORTS

tag
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

CHILD SUPPORT AND CREDIT REPORTS

I have some questions I hope someone can answer.

I have a collection on CR that was put on there Dec. 2010. I pulled one of my reports today and they have in account history that it went into collection

April of 2012. I do have all my credit reports, and they say Dec 2010. This was for back child support.

Also where it say status on same report, it says open. This has been paid in full since May 2, 2012. Should it read closed?

What should I do? I know the newer a collection shows the harder hit you take for it.  Any help would be appreciated

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: CHILD SUPPORT AND CREDIT REPORTS

Once satisfied, the debt collector has two reporting obligations..... report a $0 balance remaining under collection, and close the collection account.

Yes, it should be updated to a status of "closed" and a balance of $0.  That is how others pulling your CR know that the debt has been satisfied.

I would begin by sending the debt collector a reminder of their obligation under FCRA 623(a)(2) to timely update any previously reported information such as to maintain its current accuracy.  I would not start with a dispute, as it will place a dispute flag in your CR, thus removing certain items of information from your credit scoring until the dispute is resolved. 

If they dont promptly update, then I would pursue a direct dispute with them, thus compelling action within approx 30 days.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.