Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMRR signed for by nephew

tag
kimharris1920
Established Member

CMRR signed for by nephew

I am a new person here so bear with me.

Well, my dilemna was my husband's nephew that has been staying with us for a few weeks. Mistakenly he signed for something that I would not have signed for. I'm almost positive it was for something that has been deleted from my Credit Reports already. I have had HUGE success on deletions without paying one thin dime. We are in the process of closing on a house and I don't need any trouble.  Should I send them the letter back stating return to sender address unknown or what.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CMRR signed for by nephew

Umm, could you be more vague? Little levity.

Without knowing what your nephew signed for it's difficult to even guess what's up.

Have you opened the letter for which your nephew signed?

Once the RRR green card is signed, they've got pretty solid proof the thing they sent you was received. Best to open it and find out what's in it.

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 06-29-2007 04:38 PM
Message 2 of 10
kimharris1920
Established Member

Sorry about that. I had not opened it yet. I was afraid to open it. I have already marked it as return to sender moved. His last name is not my last name & I did not give him authority to sign for it, plus he is a minor.  I'm almost positive it's a debt from Wolpoff & Abramson LLP & for sure they have been deleted from my report. Will my nephew signing this letter give them the power to place this debt back on my credit report?  If I'm not mistaken it was from something that occurred back in 99 or so. I'm afraid to open it, I will say that much.. Did I say I was afraid to open it;.. Smiley Surprised

Message Edited by kimharris1920 on 06-29-2007 05:21 PM
Message 3 of 10
sl
Established Contributor

I think the damage is done already. Once it is signed for, it is proof it was delivered. I understrand your feelings about not wanting to open it, however, by not opening it, you could be running from something you may be able to control now and prevent problems down the road.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

in my jurisdiction, service is effective if signed for by a household resident of the age of 16 or older...i don't know about your jurisdiction, but you can probably find out via a google search or a lawyer. 

as far as making it return to sender, stating that you moved, that is probably mail fraud if you get caught....

kimharris1920 wrote:
Sorry about that. I had not opened it yet. I was afraid to open it. I have already marked it as return to sender moved. His last name is not my last name & I did not give him authority to sign for it, plus he is a minor. 
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

kimharris1920 wrote:
Sorry about that. I had not opened it yet. I was afraid to open it. I have already marked it as return to sender moved. His last name is not my last name & I did not give him authority to sign for it, plus he is a minor.  I'm almost positive it's a debt from Wolpoff & Abramson LLP & for sure they have been deleted from my report. Will my nephew signing this letter give them the power to place this debt back on my credit report?  If I'm not mistaken it was from something that occurred back in 99 or so. I'm afraid to open it, I will say that much.. Did I say I was afraid to open it;.. Smiley Surprised

Simply signing for a CMRRR letter does zero to place anything back on your credit. That said, if it is from W&A, then it probably is some sort of demand for money. Does the outside of the envelope in any way indicate who it's from?

Don't send it back, but don't open it just yet.

Monday, call around and talk to some NACA lawyers near you. Find out if you have any recourse, under state law, or (as I suspect they'll say) the signed RRR green card is sufficient to show you received it. If so, then you open it.

If it is from '99, you really have nothing to worry about insofar as your CRs are concerned. It's long since past the CRTP. Now, depending on what state you're in, the SOL could in theory make you liable for the debt still. A couple of states have insane SOLs.

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 06-29-2007 09:38 PM
Message 6 of 10
kimharris1920
Established Member

Ok I opened the letter. It is a debt that I have managed to get deleted from all of my CRA except pessity Experian. They are the only ones that just won't let this one go. It's from a ATT cell phone bill that I had back in 2005 for $1976. Those folks shafted me on all type of charges.

The letter stated that

Pursuat to my request, enclosed please find validation of the claim referred to our office for collection. Please note that the name and address of the orginal creditor is:
Asta Funding Inc.
210 Sylan Ave
Englewood Cliff NJ 07632
They also attached a copy of a print out from their system. That is not validation is it? A print out from their system. I need more verifcation than that on this. Can they do this? Should I try to contact this original debtor for verification on this. This Asta Funding Inc?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

kimharris1920 wrote:
Ok I opened the letter. It is a debt that I have managed to get deleted from all of my CRA except pessity Experian. They are the only ones that just won't let this one go. It's from a ATT cell phone bill that I had back in 2005 for $1976. Those folks shafted me on all type of charges.

The letter stated that

Pursuat to my request, enclosed please find validation of the claim referred to our office for collection. Please note that the name and address of the orginal creditor is:
Asta Funding Inc.
210 Sylan Ave
Englewood Cliff NJ 07632
They also attached a copy of a print out from their system. That is not validation is it? A print out from their system. I need more verifcation than that on this. Can they do this? Should I try to contact this original debtor for verification on this. This Asta Funding Inc?

Who's the CA? Palisades? I ask because Palisades appear to be an arm of Asta. In any event, DV them.

Asta is a JDB, and normally JDBs buy either really old debts or debts for which the OC has absolutely no proof. The OC writes it off as a loss (and perhaps violating the tax laws because it's not a real debt or loss), they turn a profit thru the writeoff, and the JDB who paid pennies on the dollar for the claim go try to collect. Since they are claiming a debt owed from 2005, I'd say they have zero standing behind this debt.

In your DV letter, tell 'em without your signature and some sort of accounting of the charges they claim you owe, this doesn't constitute validation.

Message 8 of 10
kimharris1920
Established Member

Palisades is the Collection agency. at least that what is stays on the letter, I also forgot to mention that they have my address then they also have

Palsides Collection LLC
VS.
My name
W&A File # - XXXXXXXXX
Account # -XXXXXXXXX

when you say DV them, who are you refering to. I know it seems like 3 folks after me. Wolpoff & Abramson, Palisades and Asta folks. Should I send DV to all of these folks. I just want this one dead once and for all. I have never received anything from Asta.. So I have no clue where they came from. I'll hop on this today. From reading the post it looks like they are a JDB - Junk debt buyer. See I'm learning something with my newbie self. Plus the dictionary at the beginning of the post does not hurt. LOL Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

kimharris1920 wrote:
Palisades is the Collection agency. at least that what is stays on the letter, I also forgot to mention that they have my address then they also have

Palsides Collection LLC
VS.
My name
W&A File # - XXXXXXXXX
Account # -XXXXXXXXX

when you say DV them, who are you refering to. I know it seems like 3 folks after me. Wolpoff & Abramson, Palisades and Asta folks. Should I send DV to all of these folks.

Is Palisades suing you? If so, then you're past the time to DV. Time to answer the summons and complaint, like now, and talk with a lawyer.

If not, then DV Palisades since they're the CA sending you the CMRRR letter. Have you pulled your CRs recently? Is Palisades, W&A, Asta or ATT showing up on your CRs in connection with their claim of a debt?

If you have any old statements from the ATT account to disprove their claims, fish those out. If they're claiming late payments, check bank statements or billpay records for more evidence to support you.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.