cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA Refuses to Honor Written Letter from Creditor!

tag
Neblett
Regular Contributor

CRA Refuses to Honor Written Letter from Creditor!

I submitted a letter to Experian a couple weeks ago from Ford Motor Credit that explicitly stated that they were requesting all Repossession comments to be removed from my credit file, as part of a settlement offer I made with them.  Imagine my surprise today to get a letter from EXP today stating that the documentation I submitted was not sufficient for them to change their reporting!

A letter from Ford saying, DO THIS - in writing!

What's not sufficient?  Is this legal?
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Re: CRA Refuses to Honor Written Letter from Creditor!

Hummm ... I have something to that effect from Sun Trust Bank, yet all the CRAs say  is that they can't act upon a letter addressed to me from my creditor.  The OC, I am told, has to contact the CRA directly and request the information be removed from the file. 

Poo.

Message Edited by MercyMe on 06-04-2007 07:39 PM
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar problem with Ford as well but mine is Transunion.  I also got a letter stating my ford account was paid off.  Transunion said it did not meet their criteria.  They are showing me 60 days past due with a 0 balance.  I had a letter from Ford showing it was paid off in July 2006 and they will not change it to reflect current, paid as agreed.  I have disputed twice.  The first time they had 30 days past due and they changed it to 60 days past due with 0 balance.  I have since sent 2 certified letters to Ford and to Transunion with all of the information.  A copy of the payoff letter.  A copy of myfico report that shows the negative information (60 days past due), the credit report with 30 days past due and the credit report with 60 days past due.  I have been trying to refinance my house and this shows as currently 60 days past due so my score will not go up.  I am considering getting a lawyer and suing Transunion for reporting the negative information.  I had talked with a lawyer and their first question was did you send a certified letter.  So that is what I did and they have 30 days from the date of that letter...Though I did mention it had been past 30 days since my first dispute.  I have also filed a dispute with the FTC whether that does anything or not...Anyone have any suggestions??  Been dealing with this 2 months???   TX MICHELLE
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the letter you got from EX, did they state your dispute was frivolous or irrelevant? I suspect if you read thru all their gibberish, they implicitly indicate they will investigate. Did you send your letter CMRRR? Did you save a copy of it?

Save everything you have. Copies of what you sent, CM receipts, RRR green cards, USPS receipts, and any notices from them.

I suspect they are investigating. I got the same nonsense from either EX or TU. They did investigate and delete within the limits of the law.

Do NOT send them additional correspondense on this. Let them investigate and respond. If 30 days passes from the date your RRR green card was received, or the date of the letter they sent you, and you don't hear from them, then they are in violation and you can smack 'em with a more sternly worded letter.
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I notice that my FICO score has not changed through all of this.  It will not until they update the correct information.  I get the feeling that my account is on hold.  When I called Last week, they said my file was being updated...I check it every day..nothing......I do not like Transunion...they are very very slow and difficult to deal with.  I wish CONGRESS would do something....ITS NOT FAIR. ...We are judged at a minutes notice on our credit..but they get 30 or more days to report incorrect information....
Message 5 of 22
Neblett
Regular Contributor

I talked with an Experian rep a couple of days ago who basically said they thought my letter from Ford was a forgery, so they wouldn't accept it.  I asked if they had contacted the person from Ford's recovery department who signed the letter and gave her contact number in case there were any questions, and they said NO, that would be a waste of time because it was obviously not a legitimate piece of correspondence!

What do I do?!
Message 6 of 22
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Neblett wrote:
I talked with an Experian rep a couple of days ago who basically said they thought my letter from Ford was a forgery, so they wouldn't accept it.  I asked if they had contacted the person from Ford's recovery department who signed the letter and gave her contact number in case there were any questions, and they said NO, that would be a waste of time because it was obviously not a legitimate piece of correspondence!

What do I do?!

I would contact your state Attorney General, the BBB and the FTC. Also try PFB. Do not give up on this.
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Neblett wrote:

What do I do?!

Was your letter to EX sent CMRRR?
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

For problems with Experian, I'd go to upper level management. That company is full of lower-level reps who are stubborn and, frankly, rude as hell. Experian's main number is (714) 830-7000. I'd ask for Lee Lundy, one of the big shots in their Allen, Texas customer care centers. Don't stop until you get this fixed... do NOT give up!
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lee Lundy is VP of Consumer Services. You can call and ask, but you ain't gettin' him on the horn jes 'cause you asked.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.