Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA's Want Discharged BK info. Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CRA's Want Discharged BK info. Help!

I really do not know what to do:  If I am going to battle baddies on my CRA's I must send Schedules of discharged BK to them.  I have hurt my scores trying to clean up items that are not correct on reports.
Biggest problems are CO's for CC's  w/Prov/WAMU & Webcard - stating it was not included in BK.
This is over 12K in CO. I have the BK schedules on items to send them but have been told not to send anything and just keep disputing items.  Well that has caused a problem on another account that was paid in full and was a reaffirmation through BK and they have item as CO. This Lender has changed their mind on my dispute three times on TU report.   MY EQ/CSC has dropped by 20 points but EX has gone up 20 points.  Help me make right choices on these matters.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CRA's Want Discharged BK info. Help!

I'm sorry I don't have a short and brilliant answer for you... but, I went through BK a few years ago myself, and had similar issues. Prov is a real pain - I disputed their entry on my CR several times - don't remember now what the error was, but frankly, I just ran out of steam fighting them. For all I know they are still reporting incorrectly... Suppose I should check that, eh?

I had several that said CO, and it concerned me too, but my understanding is that CO is just an accounting term, and perfectly acceptable. In fact, any debt discharged in BK has been CO, so it's not inaccurate. That said, all discharged debts eventually should say "discharged in BK 7", and show zero balance.

Your reaffirmed debt should not be showing as CO. And you shouldn't have to prove to the CRA's that your BK was discharged. I also have heard not to send that paperwork to them, though I'm not sure why. However, if you must do it, copy the page with just those creditors you are disputing, and use a black marker to cross out everything else so they get just the info they must have.

You can spend a lot of energy fighting these things - sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's better to just pick yourself up and move forward, rebuilding your credit as you go. I'm in the mid-600's at this point - 3 years post BK, and have almost 30K in available credit on CC - for good or bad, I'm not sure, but obviously, BK didn't totally ruin my ability to get credit.

But, if you want to pursue this - and it sounds like you have good reason to - suggest you look at creditboards.com - they have a very active community on credit repair post BK, and they surely will be able to help more than I.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.