cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA's to remove tax liens/judgements July 1st?!?

tag
ohnomyfigo
Contributor

CRA's to remove tax liens/judgements July 1st?!?

I just read several articles published in the last 10 hours that are saying that credit bureaus will be removing all judgements and some tax liens from reports. Does anyone else have any infomration regarding this?

Here is an excerpt from the article below:

"Here's potentially good news for consumers: The nation's three largest credit-reporting agencies will soon exclude tax liens and some civil debts from their reports.

The change by Equifax, Experian and TransUnion will take effect July 1, as part of a plan to ensure that consumer identifications in the data are accurate and current, the Consumer Data Industry Association, a trade association for the companies, said Monday.

In a revision that could improve consumers' credit scores, the credit agencies will exclude the tax liens and civil debts if reports on those obligations don't include a consumers' names and addresses, as well as Social Security numbers and or dates of birth, the CDIA said. Many liens and most judgments don't include all of that data, in part because Social Security numbers are often redacted for security reasons."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/03/13/reports-credit-scores-soon-exclude-some-debts-liens/9...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CRA's to remove tax liens/judgements July 1st?!?

There's been a couple of threads on this in the "credit in the news" section of this forum.  It's been in the works for a while but I noticed it was allover the news and radio today.  Earlier stories stated sometime in July so it's good to hear a date is set.  I have an old state tax lien from about 6 years ago and I cant wait to see it gone.  It's my only baddie and only reported on EQ and TU.  EX dropped it a few months ago. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any idea why EX dropped it? Did you use Lexington Law?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Any idea why EX dropped it? Did you use Lexington Law?

No idea why EX dropped it.  I thought maybe they were just starting the removal process early.  I'm definitely not going to ask...LOL

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The removal of some liens and judgments resulted from civil litigation in Jenkins v. Equifax, which involved a civil action asserting that the CRA was not adequately verifying that public record information entered into their credit reports was reasonably associated with the named consumer.

The civil action resulted in a consent agreement in which the big-3 CRAs agreed to remove tax liens and judgments that did not at least contain the consumer's name, address, and eithe a date of birth of a SSN.  It does not apply to all judgments.

The consent agreement additionally included agreement to review public record information at least every 90 days to ensure its continued accuracy.

The CRA review process is ongoing, and expected to be concluded by July 1st.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone had a tax lien removed per the new July 1st guidelines? I keep checking to see if mine has come off. No luck yet. I read somewhere that they could also start removing the week if July 10th????
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a note that everyone needs to be patient...there are likely tens of millions of records to be updated and/or removed. One report I saw posited that up to 96 percent of all public records on civil judgments were deficient by the new standards and would need to be removed from reports. I suspect that this is going to take weeks if not months to complete.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.