cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDIT COUNSELING Impact to your credit report...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CREDIT COUNSELING Impact to your credit report...

If you go to a credit counseling what will be the negative impact to your credit report? Is there any credit couseling agency that can be trusted? What is the best options for credit counseling?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CREDIT COUNSELING Impact to your credit report...

When we started with a DMP in 2/06, my score was 449.  I checked yesterday, and my scores are 642, 636, and 639.  There were comments added such as "account managed by credit counseling agency".  A couple of the accounts were paid off in 4/06 and still have the comments.  I'm disputing them to get that removed.  We use Consumer Credit Counseling Service.  The site to find reputable services is below.  I don't think I would trust anyone who's not a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling.

Using a credit counseling service is not a quick fix like taking out a second mortgage or using your home's equity which we've done in the past.  CCCS has services like webinar's that teach you a lot about handling your finances.  You will learn how to budget and manage credit.  They are tough to stick with, but they will you get out of debt.  They work primarily with credit card debt which is where most folks get into trouble, especially since CCC's have gotten so unscrupulous with universal default, high late fees and over the limit fees.  It's ridiculous to think that people who get into trouble can be helped by adding those outragious fees to an account that's already behind.  A reputable CCCS will stop those "evil" practices. You will be able to "take a breather and regroup" and start to rebuild your credit and your life. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks scarlu. I believe you about that outrageous fees that they charge in your account. That was what happened to me. My account was already behind and then I called them to make a promise to pay but they still charge my account. That's why I decide to go on credit counseling. But the thing that Im worried about is the negative result in credit report. Thanks for the recommendation. I will try to check it if they offer in my states. Thank you again.

Message Edited by Irene_0ne on 02-16-2008 06:34 AM
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

per myFICO - the FICO score no longer takes into account a DMP when calculating your score-
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.