Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDIT INQUIRIES

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CREDIT INQUIRIES

When you receive things in the mail (like I did yesterday) saying you've been pre-approved, how are they pre-approving you? What info are they getting? Because I don't believe they're pulling your credit report.  In other words, what IS a soft inquiry or soft pull? At first I was excited, but then did some research online and after reading really negative things about the dealership you'd have to take it to, I threw the paperwork out. I'm just wondering if that might bode positive for when I DO go out and start applying. Doubt it, but nice to think so. Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CREDIT INQUIRIES

Sounds like it's from a car dealership.

If it is, you're probably "pre-approved" because you are in the phone book! LOL.

That is strictly a marketing ploy they use to get you in the dealership. A mass bulk rate mailing to thousands of people. If it's from a dealership, I immediately toss it.

If it's from a CCC, I will look at and think about it. You met their preliminary criteria(perhaps by only getting your credit score from the CRA's, maybe). Only AFTER you call them, or mail it in, they then pull a hard inq on you, as you've given them permission to do so. In essence, a "pre-approval" letter is only an advertisement.

Hope that helps. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that helps a lot.  I've been trying to do research on the dealerships too. Seeing what kind of customer responses I can find.  Thanks again, that's along the lines of what I was thinking.  With my score just going up from 564 to 580 on Experian recently at least I'm starting to feel like the debt management program on my Capital One cards is making some difference  Hopefully that will help when I go looking at cars more aggressively  Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good going. You are definitely headed in the right direction. Keep up the good work.

Never ever, ever be late. Never
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.