Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDIT UNIONS

tag
Takunda1
Established Contributor

CREDIT UNIONS

There has been a lot of talk on here about good credit unions. Most of them seem to require you to be a member of the military or navy or government employee. Besides CCCU are there any other credit unions people can recommend from experience. I found one close to where I live in Plano, TX EDS credit union, but I'd like to know of some that others have used & can recommend. I'm doing a lease buy out from BMW & they quoted me 6.58% which is not bad, but I think I can do better. Any suggestions. I'm an employee with Capital One & our lease buy out rates are like 8% which is crazy.

TIA
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CREDIT UNIONS

Pentagon Federal is much admired here - I just joined recently and am waiting a decision on a CC app. You do have to be affiliated with the armed forces, but if you're not, you can join the Military Families Association (I think that's the name of it) for $20 and then join Penfed.
Message 2 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I've heard good things about Patelco, which I guess used to be Pacific Telephone, or something? And anyone can join PenFed or JFCU by first going through their qualifying associations and paying a one-time membership fee. Same with NASA, the only problem being that they pull all three reports, which seems a bit brutal.

PenFed has a 4.24% used auto loan going now, and I was so proud of my 4.99%. Smiley Sad

PenFed Auto Loan

There are plenty of good local credit unions too, the problem is that it would be unlikely that you'd find much info here about them. Water-cooler research for that!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

To add, I've heard good things about DCU, Penfed, Patelco, CCCU, NASA, Justice FCU, and others that escape my mind at the moment. In fact, a good majority of CUs will allow you to join. Even if they are regional, there's always some sort of association you can join or even a chamber of commerce for that region.
Message 4 of 6
Takunda1
Established Contributor

Thanks for the responses guys I'll definitely look into those mentioned above.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

CCCU has awesome auto rates- (better than my CU)

Takunda1 wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys I'll definitely look into those mentioned above.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.