Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDITORS Chase the worst calling over 100 times a day Isn't that Illegal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CREDITORS Chase the worst calling over 100 times a day Isn't that Illegal

I have listed on my cell phone and house phone caller ID report (comcast phone  *57 star 57 to trace call) the amount of times these creditors call each day starting at exactly 8am  and last call at 9:45pm.  Chase (JPMORGAN) is the worst. in an given hour it is easy to get 15 calls from them,  Anonymous, Out of Area, Unknown caller I receive calls from creditor this way too. I can not even block them says the phone company.

I have talked to them millions of times told them I am sick as well as out of a job, requested them not to call me write me, use postal ok.   They refuse to honor my request,  There notes are all updated with the latest info but YET they continue to call to harass me.  HOW MANY TIMES can I tell one person I have no money at the moment.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
lizabeth
Contributor

Re: CREDITORS Chase the worst calling over 100 times a day Isn't that Illegal

it is harrassment. thats what they do. but have you tried to set up any kind of small payment plan with them?
just saying you cant pay isnt the best idea. they dont want to hear that. have they turned you over to collections yet? i wouldnt let it get that far. i would explain your situation and ask what you can do to stay on good terms with them.  something is better than nothing.  my parents used to avoid creditors when my dad lost his job and they were worse off for it. the calls stopped when my mom would say 'i can pay you something in 2 weeks'.. or something along those lines.

i hope things start looking up for you!
Message 2 of 9
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

Send them your requests in writing CMRRR. Thats the only way to make them stop tell them to only contact you through the mail. If they contact you after you CMRRR letter to them then Report them to the FTC save all receipts from post office and build a case against them.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I missing something here, you can't pay anything on the debts you ran up but, you have a cell phone and a house phone?

That aside I do wish you the best in finding a job and getting your life back in order.  Good Luck Vicki

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

THE CELL PHONE IS PREV JOB THEY HAVE NOT SHUT IT OFF YET

The phone number at home is listed in my dads name not mine.  I use to pay

equal for home service when I could afford it.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know it really sucks when someone asks a legitimate question, and someone gets all judgemental of your situation.  Please be nice, I've been in this sort of situation myself--sick, no job, unable to pay some of your bills--sometimes all you have is a telephone and being judgemental against someone, especially when you dont know the whole situation can really hurt.

Message 6 of 9
Donks3369
Established Contributor

Jock,

I'm sorry for the situation you are in.  Without getting judgmental or preaching about what you should do, I will try to answer your question.  They do not have to abide by your requests to stop calling.  You can tell them till you are blue in the face or send them a request CMRRR, but they are the original creditor.  A cease and desist will work on a 3rd party collection agency, but won't on the original creditor.  They can call you as often as they would like, however most don't.  One because it's a waste of their time, and two, it just makes the customer angry.  A customer they may want business from in the future.

I can tell you not to hide from them as most collectors are cruel sometimes and will just call to annoy you if you make them mad.  I have been on both sides as the debtor and the collector.  Just try and communicate the best you can with them and hopefully they get the point.  But don't threaten them as there is no use threatening them for harrassement, because in the laws eyes it isn't.

Good luck and hope everything works out for you.

PS.  As a side note they still have to follow the spirit of the FDCPA and should only call between 8am and 9pm.  Anything outside of that and they are just looking for trouble.

Message Edited by Donks3369 on 03-03-2009 12:45 PM
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I unfortunately have a phone number that used to be someone else's who had credit problems. For a while I received unlimited calls from these bottom feeder collection agencies who wouldn't believe I wasn't the person they were looking for.  They wouldn't stop calling.  Then I found a solution:  when they asked for the person, I would say yes, hold on, I'll get him. Then I'd just leave the phone until they got frustrated and hung up.  It took them a while to learn their lesson, but eventually they realized they'd be wasting their time and the calls ended.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue 6 months ago, when I got a new phone. They were constantly calling me! Every time I was explaining to them politely the whole situation that I am not that person. Every time I was explaining that they already called multiple times and that that this was not the person who they were looking for. Honestly, I had mixed feelings because it was a annoying, of course, but it was quite funny. I think they realized that it was getting ridiculous and they probably thought "he probably is saying the truth".

ANYWAY, my point here is that if those creditors (I assume they were creditors) were so detirmine, for appr 3 months, to find some woman on my personal phone number, they just use this calling harassment weapen excessively! You have to face this fact and really come up with an agreement with them.

Message Edited by IvoH on 03-14-2009 11:11 PM
Message Edited by IvoH on 03-14-2009 11:13 PM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.