Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Creditors change the dates on your credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can Creditors change the dates on your credit

I have only one creditor on my Equifax report and recently they have changed the dates on the report so it looks like I am 120 days late. The last contact I had with this creditor was back in 2008/9. It still says I opened the account back in 2008 and it was previously listed as a charge off. Are they allowed to do this? I submitted a dispute to equifax, but not sure if anyone knows if this is even allowed?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Can debtors change the dates on your credit

Clarification for you: any vendor to which you owe money is a creditor. You are the debtor. I mention this so you can correct the tradeline. Others here will have specific recommendations for you. No, the creditor can not change the dates after charge off.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the clarification. So since this is not allowed, would equifax remove it?

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. So since this is not allowed, would equifax remove it?

The DoFD cannot be changed once CO status has been reached, they can certainly update it every month if they choose if it is in fact unpaid. You might want to post it up so we can see it with personal info redacted.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can Creditors change the dates on your credit

A creditor can update to include information not previously reported, provided their update/change is accurate.

If they become aware that previously reported information is inaccurate, they are required under FCRA 623(a)(2) to promplty update their reporting.

In the case of a charge-off, an account is almost invariably at least 120 days late when it is charged-off by a creditor.

Thus, prior montlhy delinquencies are implied even if not expressly reported.

The creditor can report only the CO with no prior reporting of any monthly delinquencies, they can report only the first delinquency, or they can choose to report every and all delinquencies.  When they choose to report or undate is up to them

Once a creditor has reported a charge-off, they have an additional statutory requirement under FCRA 623(a)(5) to report the DOFD on their account to the DRA within 90 days after reporting of their charge-off.  That is separate from the reporting of montjly delinquencies shown under the payment history, ans is not optional.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.