cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I See My Credit Report Free Of Charge?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I See My Credit Report Free Of Charge?

Yes, the FCRA requires that you be given a FREE copy of your CR from all CRAs once every 12 months. The FTC has some very good, concise info on the subject, and I commend it to you.

Here's the law on it: 15 USC 1681j(a)

You can call, write or go online. It is an excellent idea to pull your CR from all 3 CRAs once every 12 months. They even send you an Email reminder that it's time for your free report.

This is the official website established by the Big Three CRAs. It's mostly easy to use. Do not be taken in by other companies that advertise. There is almost certain to be fine print, credit card charges for a subscription to a golfing magazine, or some darned thing. One company associated with one of the Big Three advertises heavily on TV.

You can request your TU and EX reports online and access them online, but I recommend you request a paper copy of EQ by calling or writing. EQ is a bit "online challenged". You can call or write for any, or all 3, for whatever reason. Lotta folks have a basic distrust of accessing such things online. OTOH, others have reported good success with online requests from EQ.

You can also view and dispute your EX report online at one of several links. They don't appear to restrict it so you can access it any time you want.
http://www.experian.com/rs/fi2.html

For TU, if you want to go back and access your report again, use the ID and password you established.
http://annualcreditreport.transunion.com/

EX will give you a number that you need to write down and remember if you plan to go back and review your CR.

TU will assign a file number to your report, but you won't need it.

It's a good idea to utilize your FACTA requests, even if you use MFSW or TC or some other monitoring service. Original EX and TU reports break down your TLs into good and adverse. The adverse TLs are listed first in their own section. Some other services don't necessarily show this, and it's good information to have in case the TL is somehow flagged as adverse which is not readily apparent to you.

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 10-23-2007 07:47 AM

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can I See My Credit Report Free Of Charge?

Good post.. and remember, disputing via annualcreditreport.com gives the CRAs an extra 15 days to investigate.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're here, then there's a fair chance you've looked at your reports and scores using one of MyFico's products. Some may have encountered problems disputing inaccurate info with the CRAs because you're using an "unacceptable" copy of your CRs, and the CRAs gleefully offer to sell one to you.

Keep your CC in your wallet. If you have access to a fax machine, fax a dispute to the CRAs. Include a photocopy of your driver's license, SSN card, and for EX include a copy of a recent utility bill.

Once they conclude their investigation, they will mail you a paper copy of your CR, with one of their confirmation numbers on it should you need to dispute anything further.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get a free report if you've applied for anything and been denied.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

?: I know you can see your credit report free of charge but is it the actual score that you have to pay for?

DH did my credit report Feb 2008 but no score was posted. Since that time, I've been working diligently to get those little negatives off (basically not making late payments on anything else and just have time working on my side). I'd like to get another credit report (since it's been over a year since my last one) but I'd like to have the score included because we intend on building a house in the next year or two.

Thanks,

~Cynthia~

Message 5 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, the scores aren't free. The only place where you can pull EQ and TU scores (w/ reports) together is via this website. Unfortunately, EX no longer allows consumers to pull their own FICO score.

Once in a very blue moon, FICO promotions run out there for a free score only for EQ. You'll here about it on here when that happens.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can't afford to get your FICO, you can get a FREE estimate at the following location:

It technically can be used to estimate your FICO with any of the CAs, because you manually enter your TL highlights. I use it to estimate my Experian, since I can no longer get it directly.

@llecs wrote:
Unfortunately, the scores aren't free. The only place where you can pull EQ and TU scores (w/ reports) together is via this website. Unfortunately, EX no longer allows consumers to pull their own FICO score.

Once in a very blue moon, FICO promotions run out there for a free score only for EQ. You'll here about it on here when that happens.

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Here is my advice on getting the best credit reports and the most comprhensive information at the lowest possible fees.

Yes, as you realize, in compliance with the "once a year free credit report" provisions of the FCRA, you can order your free annual credit reports for each CRA every 12-months through the federally-accepted FCRA compliance site established by the three CRAs at annualcreditreport.com.  If you attempt to secure another free CR at that site, they will tell you that that it has not been a year, and thus you are not yet eligible.

Many consumers then, if they want an updated CR within this period, turn to one of the commercial CR vendor sites, including myFICO, and pay $10-$13.

In my opinion, NO commerical CR you get anywhere compares with the ones you get from annualcreditreport.com.  Commercial CRS are always sanitized and condensed credit reports that are often more confusing than illuminating.

My suggested alternative to getting the best credit repair information is to first get your three free, and comprehensive, CRs from annualcreditreport.com.

Then focus on the specific items of information in those CRs that you disagree with, or want more information on.

You then have the statutory right, under FCRA 609(a)(1), to request, at any time, directly from each CRA, "all information in the consumer's file" relating to any item of information appearing in your credit report.  It includes your right, under FCRA 609(a)(2), to additionally request the sources of any reported item(s) of informatiln.This is not a sanitized credit file interpretation of your credit file by way of a credit report, it is the direct disclosure to yuu of the infomation stored in your credit file

This totally bypasses all purveyors of commerrcial credit reports.Of course, such requests under FCRA 609(a)(1) are not free.  They require, under FCRA 609(a), simply the payment of the processing fee set forth in FCRA 612(f), which is the payment of a check to the CRA in the current amount of $10.50.So, starting with your annualcreditreport.com CR, I see much more benefit from using FCRA 609(a) to address items of information in your credit file than commercial CRs, at about the same cost.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.