cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I be sued 2 times for the same debt?????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I be sued 2 times for the same debt?????

Quick back story:

I bought a car in '03 with a cosigner.  I then defaulted due to some financial situations and the car was repo'd.  The OC (Wells Fargo), sued me in '06 for the balance.  I was served papers for the county court that I lived in at the time, but nothing ever came of the suit, no judgement, no more contact, nada.  Then, in Oct of '07, I got served papers (from a diff attorney), at my new address but for a different county court in NJ in which I havent lived in in some time.  These papers were delivered to my apartment in NYC, because of my forwarding address, via certified mail and signed for by my doorman, which I am not sure is legal in the first place.  This time, I was being sued by Midland Funding for the same debt, which they obviusly bought.  The papers were never formally served to me, and I didn't want to call or write Midland to stir the pot more, since they aren't reporting me to the CRA's, but today I recieved another court doc filed by the "law office".  It was dated Nov '07, "supposedly" filed in the county court in which I do not live, and said something along the lines of "the defendant" (me) has chosen not to respond/plead in this matter.  It is titled "Request to Enter Default and Certification". 

My question:

Is there anything wrong with this situation?  It seems to me that there are multiple things wrong and hopefully I don't have to worry about it, but I am.  Can I get sued 2 x for the same debt even though it's a different Plaintiff?  Is it legal to consider papers served if they are mailed and not signed for by me?  Can I be sued in a county and state in which I do not live?  Is anything else wrong?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I be sued 2 times for the same debt?????

jug13m wrote:

The OC (Wells Fargo), sued me in '06 for the balance.  I was served papers for the county court that I lived in at the time, but nothing ever came of the suit, no judgement, no more contact, nada.
Are you absolutely positive they didn't get a default judgment against you in NJ?
in Oct of '07, I got served papers (from a diff attorney), at my new address but for a different county court in NJ in which I havent lived in in some time.  These papers were delivered to my apartment in NYC, because of my forwarding address, via certified mail and signed for by my doorman, which I am not sure is legal in the first place.
Is there anything wrong with this situation?
So, you were served but you never responded to the summons and complaint, and never consulted a lawyer?

Can I get sued 2 x for the same debt even though it's a different Plaintiff?
It depends.

Is it legal to consider papers served if they are mailed and not signed for by me?
Some places, unfortunately yes.

Can I be sued in a county and state in which I do not live?
Under FCRA, you can be sued for a debt either where you live or where you incurred the debt. Now, if the bank was HQed out of Nevada, but you were living in NJ and signed the papers in NJ, they cannot sue you in Nevada. But, if you live in NY, then they can sue you in NY or NJ.

I think you really ought to contact a consumer lawyer, right away. Like today, and like now.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.