cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I dispute my credit score?

tag
beslush

Can I dispute my credit score?

Just started monitoring my credit score/report using free service Credit Sesame. They also have some great blog articles, like the one below that answered my question as to whether I can dispute my credit score:

http://www.creditsesame.com/blog/can-i-dispute-my-credit-score/

What are your thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can I dispute my credit score?

No, you cannot dispute your credit scores. Sites like Credit Sesame, Credit Secure and Credit Karma are good for monitoring your reports. Disregard the credit scores at those site, they're nothing more than "educational scores". Lenders don't use them. This what I would:

1. Use the above-captioned sites for monitoring only.

2. Worry about your FICO Scores. Yeah, I know there's lots of them.

3. If your rebuilding and repairing your credit, this site will help you a lot.

Message 2 of 7
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

You can dispute information on you credit report but not your credit score. Your CR may contain erroneous information and it is usally to your advantage to have this information corrected. This MAY impact your actual credit score depending on what the misinformation actually is.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 3 of 7
jaebsf
Contributor

No. It's important to keep in mind that a credit score, like FICO, is nothing more than an automated assesment and summary of information contained in any given credit report. That assesment assigns a point value to various elements of your credit report information.

Message 4 of 7
Callandra
Valued Contributor

A score is just a number!

Maybe I'm still a newbie, but to me, the impression is that I should work on keeping my credit reports looking good (no baddies/derogs) more than worry about my score. If I have a clean report, shouldn't my score go up in time anyway as accounts age? I know that's the biggest negative with my score and time will solve that. I'm just focused on being responsible and waiting. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 5 of 7
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

A score is just a number!

Maybe I'm still a newbie, but to me, the impression is that I should work on keeping my credit reports looking good (no baddies/derogs) more than worry about my score. If I have a clean report, shouldn't my score go up in time anyway as accounts age? I know that's the biggest negative with my score and time will solve that. I'm just focused on being responsible and waiting. 

You are spot on with your comment

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Without knowing the algorithm what would be the basis for the dispute?  As your link indicates, you can dispute information in your reports which scores are based on but not the scores themselves.  I always recommend focusing on the data in the reports versus the specific numbers.  Good reports will lead to good scores.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.