Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I sue this CA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I sue this CA

I was sued by Erin Capital Management for an alledged debt just over a years ago. I fought it and the case was dismissed without prejudice. Erin is now trying to collect the debt through an agency called Northland Group Inc. I received my first correspondance from Northland on July 16 (letter date July 10, envelop postmarked july 14). I sent a DV letter, which included they cease and dissist all communications with me. I received the CMRRR green card, dated received on August 8. Today (August 14) I received a letter form Northland requestion payment in installments, but with no validation of the debt. Can we sue for violations since they are attempting to collect without validating debt and because they are communicating with me despite me telling them not too?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I sue this CA

@Anonymous wrote:
I was sued by Erin Capital Management for an alledged debt just over a years ago. I fought it and the case was dismissed without prejudice. Erin is now trying to collect the debt through an agency called Northland Group Inc. I received my first correspondance from Northland on July 16 (letter date July 10, envelop postmarked july 14). I sent a DV letter, which included they cease and dissist all communications with me. I received the CMRRR green card, dated received on August 8. Today (August 14) I received a letter form Northland requestion payment in installments, but with no validation of the debt. Can we sue for violations since they are attempting to collect without validating debt and because they are communicating with me despite me telling them not too?

A case "dismissed without prejudice" is not a final judgment.  In general, it means that the creditor (plaintiff) can re-file within the statute of limitations period.  Without kinowing more information, I would assume they still have the legal right to pursue the debt.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I sue this CA

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A case "dismissed without prejudice" is not a final judgment.  In general, it means that the creditor (plaintiff) can re-file within the statute of limitations period.  Without kinowing more information, I would assume they still have the legal right to pursue the debt.

True.

When an action is dismissed without prejudice the plaintiff can refile suit at any time prior to the expiration of the SOL. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.