Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Lenders See Soft Inquiries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can Lenders See Soft Inquiries

My situation- My wife and I, buyers, had a low appraisal on a home we wanted. Long story short the sale was cancelled. The sellers are willing to go at it again, but with their lenders. So I contacted the lender, he ask whats my score, I gave him the lowest middle score of my wife and I, 759. He said how did I check the score, I said I have gotten reports from myFICO and then he went on this rant about that you should never check your own score. I kept telling him it would only be a soft inquiry and not a hard inquiry, he kept going on and on that I shouldn't have checked my own score. So my question to you guys, can a lender see any soft inquires? Thanks for all the help!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can Lenders See Soft Inquiries

A soft inquiry, by its very definition, is one that is viewable by the named consumer only, and not by others.

Thus, the answer is no, creditors cannot see any inquiries that are coded as soft.

As an aside, you are correct in that inquiries you make for your own credit report are coded as soft, and others wont see them, and they have no effect on your scoring.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much, I will not being going with that lender, since they obviously do not know what they are talking about.

@RobertEG wrote:

A soft inquiry, by its very definition, is one that is viewable by the named consumer only, and not by others.

Thus, the answer is no, creditors cannot see any inquiries that are coded as soft.

As an aside, you are correct in that inquiries you make for your own credit report are coded as soft, and others wont see them, and they have no effect on your scoring.

Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I contacted the lender, he ask whats my score, I gave him the lowest middle score of my wife and I, 759. He said how did I check the score, I said I have gotten reports from myFICO and then he went on this rant about that you should never check your own score. I kept telling him it would only be a soft inquiry and not a hard inquiry, he kept going on and on that I shouldn't have checked my own score.

It's not just a matter of whether it's an SP or not.  One other concern would be which FICO model were you using?  Is it the same FICO model that the lender would use?  if not, the score may not be the number that they would use in their decision.  Always consider the specfic model and not just whether a score is a FICO or not.  Keep in mind that there are creditors that do not use FICO's though this probably isn't relevant for home shopping.

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much, I will not being going with that lender, since they obviously do not know what they are talking about.

You always have to be careful with representatives for any company.  I wouldn't necessarily write off an entire company based on the experience with one rep but if home shopping I definitely wouldn't use a rep I was concerned about.  Good companies can have mistaken/misinformed reps.  Bad companies can have good reps.  You really can't extrapolate a trend on any topic based on a single data point.

It's also not entirely clear to me from just your posts what all of his concerns might have been.  You seem to be assuming it was just scoring impact from checking your score when there are certainly other possible concerns as well.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.