Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can You Help Me Find a Grant?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can You Help Me Find a Grant?

I know this doesn't exactly pertain to credit, but the forum here has always helped me with such great advice in the past. I was wondering if someone might be able to help point me in the right direction.

I will be paying off our home in the next few month. Let's just say our neighborhood is less than desirable, with many properties being torn down around us due to abandonment. We are looking to spruce up our home by remolding it, in order to make it more comfortable. I estimate the total cost both inside and out will clock in around $20,000-$30,000. We'd like to avoid a loan if possible, which got me looking into some type of grant possibilities. Due to our limited budget ourselves, I'm hoping to find some type of grant program that will help cover part or all of these costs, due to the fact that our home is in a low-income (some may consider impoverished area that is below the poverty line). I've called HUD and they said that have no grant program for that specifically, but suggested I try my local non-profits (as the Government will give out money on a state and local level for these sorts of things).

The problem is, I've contact half a dozen agencies near me (like Habit for Humanity, Department of Community Developerment, The Housing Authority, People Working Communialy and several others too numerous to mention), and none are willing to help. They do have some funding available, but it's usually for elderly people and typicaly not for cosmetic repairs but for things like weatherizing or accessibility.

Before I give up on this notion, I was wondering if the finically savvy folks here might have any other suggestions on how to cover some of these repair costs without having to go into debt with an interests rate I'll be saddle with for the indefinite future? Does anyone know of such programs or where I might be able to dig up some of this funding?

Thanks for any info you may provide!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Can You Help Me Find a Grant?

It sounds like you are looking in all the right places. I am not surprised that there is not a lot of money available, many cities and states are facing budget short falls.

Think outside the box, have you looked into a GoFundMe type account. I have been suprised by what people have asked for and then received actual money.

Google gofundme crazy stories.

You could try to get a human interest story in the local news. Maybe someone would donate materials or labor. It does not have to be an all of nothing approach.

I think Kanye use to help people, oh who am I kidding the poor guys needs $56,000,000 so he will not be helping. Would love to see that credit score/

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.